Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Re: Curtis

Recommended Posts

 I just read every single one of the comments in Stephen’s post about the Curtis investigation. The reason I’m posting now is to just express complete astonishment about how almost none of the comments actually dealt with the actual situation at Curtis, and none of them addressed the presence or absence of any hard evidence  supporting the claim. Instead everything diverged in all kinds of different directions dealing with album covers and number of children and age and reputation and I’ll kinds of other balderdash.

I’m not wanting to start anything up again( although that implies that there was anything productive in the previous six pages of comments) It’s amazing how quickly intelligent informed people digress from the subject to meaningless tangents.

I had something to say about the original subject, but I certainly had nothing to contribute to any of the subsequent ones.

Anyway, cheers, and if I may quote our Lord: “Be ye kind, one to the other.”

Do that, and you do well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once things descent to ad hominem attacks, that's when the gloves come off. It's easy to make accusations, most especially against dead men unable to defend themselves. Some people will believe anything in a skirt because....well...they're such delicate things, after all, and of course none would ever exaggerate or misunderstand or misinterpret, much less lie.
I'm done. I already know who will be commenting further, and I'm just not interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AtlVcl said:

Once things descent to ad hominem attacks, that's when the gloves come off. It's easy to make accusations, most especially against dead men unable to defend themselves. Some people will believe anything in a skirt because....well...they're such delicate things, after all, and of course none would ever exaggerate or misunderstand or misinterpret, much less lie.
I'm done. I already know who will be commenting further, and I'm just not interested.

As hominem attacks accomplish nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We" do  not know any of the actual facts. We know what has been said by each side, so nearly anything that is said on Maestronet is speculation,  and that is rife with pitfalls and problems.

Best,I think, to watch and listen.

Regardless of the facts or the outcome, it is unfortunate for all involved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

 

I’m not wanting to start anything up again( although that implies that there was anything productive in the previous six pages of comments) It’s amazing how quickly intelligent informed people digress from the subject to meaningless tangents.

 

 

That thread was locked and for good reason. I suggest this one is too before we have an action replay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone on these discussions hasn't read the entire, original article in the Philadelphia Inquirer, they should do so.  Reading it made me sad that few news organizations have the resources to do serious investigative journalism these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, martin swan said:

That thread was locked and for good reason. I suggest this one is too before we have an action replay.

I wasn’t wanting to start anything up again, I was just commenting on how quickly the discussion deteriorated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, martin swan said:

As this one has done - second post, sexist knuckle-dragging crap.

And this post of mine, offensive ad hominem attack ;)

Martin? I don't think I said anything wrong at all? Please clarify?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Martin? I don't think I said anything wrong at all? Please clarify?

You didn't Philip, but:

11 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

Once things descent to ad hominem attacks, that's when the gloves come off. It's easy to make accusations, most especially against dead men unable to defend themselves. Some people will believe anything in a skirt because....well...they're such delicate things, after all, and of course none would ever exaggerate or misunderstand or misinterpret, much less lie.
I'm done. I already know who will be commenting further, and I'm just not interested.

those remarks are highly inappropriate.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thank you.  The Internet world requires even more sensitivity than real life conversations, because there are no vocal inflections or body Language to assist in communication. Too often we get the opposite. I really meant what I said. kindness is never inappropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

Once things descent to ad hominem attacks, that's when the gloves come off.

Some people will believe anything in a skirt...

LOL 

Yeah... we didn't consider all the available evidence* we just saw that skirt and turned into a buncha credulous dummies.

And you're the one who brought up the album cover from over a decade after...  Talk about ad hominem.

Get outa here, Larry.

*she reported it at the time, 4 classmates corroborate her story in a well-regarded newspaper, Díaz has acceded to her demands and opened a new investigation

PS- it wasn't my post.  GeorgeH started it and the previous one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've known a few girls who went off to curtis.  none had a horror story that i know of, and nobody discouraged them from going for any reason that i know of.  but it was the '80s and the '80s zeitgeist was a bad hombre.  i mean, where they were coming from to go there would have been the same. 

then was then, and now is now.  hindsight bias is a thing.  different universes.  judge in light of the times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Ok thank you.  The Internet world requires even more sensitivity than real life conversations, because there are no vocal inflections or body Language to assist in communication. Too often we get the opposite. I really meant what I said. kindness is never inappropriate.

A phrase like "Anything that wears a skirt" doesn't need "vocal inflections" to see what attitude is speaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, martin swan said:

The specific allegation is rape of a minor. Even in the naughty old 1980s that was a crime on 2 counts.

true, but i remember it as being treated more lightly then than now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Herman West said:

A phrase like "Anything that wears a skirt" doesn't need "vocal inflections" to see what attitude is speaking.

Agreed. I am not sure why a phrase like "Anything that wears a skirt" that is even allowed here. It is utterly sexist, dehumanizing, and offensive.

Unfortunately, sexism and sexist language is still largely socially acceptable despite the fact that it is deeply offensive and stereotypes women as lesser human beings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

anything that wears a skirt simply means any woman.  how can anyone in their right mind be offended by that?

Sorry Bill, but even for a person called "village idiot" several times this is stupid. Just look at the context and think if it's expressing respect to call a group of persons (to avoid "sex" or "gender") as -things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

 

Unfortunately, sexism and sexist language is still largely socially acceptable despite the fact that it is deeply offensive and stereotypes women as lesser human beings.

Maestronet is kown as very liberal and generous in regard of posting content, and there's only a single voluntary acting person for some hundreds post a day. We had some outraging discussions about political or social topics, also about more violin related themes (dovetail etc.), but especially when it's about "gender" it's getting typically mean.

There's a report button and I'm recommending to use it.

The players, industry and trade seem to be more or less balanced Just wondering, when I'm counting the regulary posters, maybe 20 or 30, how many of them are female (or telling they are)? Maybe a bit more than a handfull actually, and for which reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

anything that wears a skirt simply means any woman.  how can anyone in their right mind be offended by that?

FWIW - the phrase doesn't "simply" refer to women, it's derogatory - especially in context.

The word "anything" - dehumanizes. Are people "things"? 

"Wears a skirt" - refers to women, but how many women wear skirts these days? And if they do, what does that imply? Think about the suggested implications...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I'm not a "rabid feminist" by any means. Women are "just" people and will manipulate, take advantage of, engage in criminal and unsavory behaviour, *blah blah blah*...

I roll my eyes a lot...:rolleyes:

BUT - children need to be protected from adults who intend to use them for their own flagitious sexual desires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.