Sign in to follow this  
twcellist

Sound characteristics of different cello gut strings

I'm looking at Damien's website for cello gut strings and I was wondering if anybody has any experience (i.e. playability and sound quality difference) with all the different type of gut strings he has. On his site he has gut, varnished gut, silver pl.gut, NiAg gut, and Sterling Silver/gut. Are there any combination or preferences that people prefer?

I use Eudoxas (wound gut) on my cello. They have a very smooth warm sound (19th century ideal?). I've seen a lot of early music folks who prefer a more gritty sound. There is a good book called The Baroque Cello. The book contains a series of interviews with players many of whom talk about their instrument, bow and string preferences 

The strings I mostly use in an 18th century type of set-up are an equal tension set with a plain gut G. Toro top about 1.2mm, Real Guts d and G and a Kathedrale C but I understand that these may not be available now because Nick Baldock has been ill. For the middle, high twist strings Real Guts are by far the best but you could also try pure corde of which I have heard good reports. If you want to play Boccherini and the like you will probably need a covered G. I don't find any problem with tuning but the plain G helps a lot because the top 3 strings change with climate together in a predictable way.