Sign in to follow this  
tartarane

VIOMATE

Hello

I was wondering if somebody heard about violmate ?

it is a device to send frequencies to "tune" a table or a back.

Can one order one somewhere ? what would be the price ?

is there something better on the market today ?

the machine I saw is about twenty years old 

thank you for your answers 

Tartarane

5 hours ago, tartarane said:

NO NO thank you for answering but it isn't that at all.

I am looking for the old machine  C Hutchins must have used , with which you can measure the modes  of a violin plate, back or front.  the guy who made these machines was in England in the 80-90 . Just noticed that I misspell the name of the machine is VIOMATE He made different models . Does that ring a bell ?

thank you

tartarane

IMG_9535.jpg

I have no direct knowledge, but that appears to be a variable frequency driver to drive a loudspeaker to excite a plate and make chladni patterns.

Today, you can get free signal generator apps for your phone and run it thru a $20 amplifier to do the same thing.  Technology marches on... for example,  yesterday my  phone sent me a message informing me that the yard irrigation system would shut down temporarily because of the rain predicted for the next 2 days.

thank you don Noon

yes , but the point is that the person I am looking it for does not use apps, so still wanting to find one

PS I am not sure that the app would be as accurate as this machine anyway

1 hour ago, tartarane said:

thank you don Noon

yes , but the point is that the person I am looking it for does not use apps, so still wanting to find one

PS I am not sure that the app would be as accurate as this machine anyway

I think the odds of finding a specific custom-made signal generator from 30+ years ago is not good.  

Modern digital electronics I would expect to be plenty accurate for violinmaking, where extreme precision does not seem necessary.  I started out with a HP laboratory signal generator (with tubes), and I dumped that for the phone app, which I think is more accurate.

I would suggest getting an audio signal generator (under $30 on eBay or Amazon) and a mini-amplifier (also under $30, same places).  That's presuming the Viomate is what it appears to be.

3 hours ago, Don Noon said:

I have no direct knowledge, but that appears to be a variable frequency driver to drive a loudspeaker to excite a plate and make chladni patterns.

Today, you can get free signal generator apps for your phone and run it thru a $20 amplifier to do the same thing.  Technology marches on... for example,  yesterday my  phone sent me a message informing me that the yard irrigation system would shut down temporarily because of the rain predicted for the next 2 days.

Like Don said, there are many freeware "tone generators" now (Audacity has one), and they would probably be much more accurate and easy to use than anything Hutchins was using

Hey Don, could your Mars Rover predict rain? ;)

6 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Oh, I thought it was a dating site for viols :wub:

I thought maybe it was a website for stringed instrument players and makers looking for hanky-panky. Oh darn! :lol:

25 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Hey Don, could your Mars Rover predict rain? ;)

All our Mars rovers have amassed decades of 100% accuracy in predicting no rain. :P

22 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Gratifying that it has an “off” switch

Actually, it appears to be only an "on" switch.

I should say that although I have this kind of equipment, I only use it occasionally for research.  I don't use it in making an instrument, and see no beneficial use for it there.

In the Hutchins era, I looked into leasing such equipment, since it was well beyond my ability to purchase.

So glad I didn't! Within a few years, software which could match or exceed those performance and analysis levels became available, for much less money, and later for free.

Jacob might be drooling...^_^

...*argh* Now I have Down Under (Men at Work) in my ear...:blink:

A bunch of semi-literate Italians with no knowledge of mathematics more complex than integer geometry managed to make the instruments that we have all been killing ourselves to equal or best for the last several centuries. So why do we need the viomate, Lucchi meter, or any of that? Are we missing the forest for the trees, maybe?

19 minutes ago, Rue said:

Jacob might be drooling...^_^

...*argh* Now I have Down Under (Men at Work) in my ear...:blink:

Darn!!  You just successfully texted an earworm.  Stop that!!  :P  :lol:

11 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Gratifying that it has an “off” switch

I remember  attending  the  summer  course  at  loughborough in 1988, and your dad banishing the noisy electricians to an outer room..

Someone was having  a batch of sine wave generators made for a good price, I think £150, but luckily I didn't have  the money. 

This  might be one of them.

8 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Darn!!  You just successfully texted an earworm.  Stop that!!  :P  :lol:

Sorry!!! It hasn't left my head yet either...lol...was humming it while brushing my teeth...

10 hours ago, Mampara said:

You should try Vegemite, it's like Marmite on steroids. Since it contains a lot of protein and has a nice colour, you have me wondering how it may work as a ground?

The ground option HAD occurred to me as well.  Wouldn't be the first protein ground of course.  Maybe I should test it for lightfastness.  Calling Brigitte Brandmair:  could it have been Marmite?

Now that I am a vegetarian, Marmite is verboten.  I'll have to check the Vegemite contents.  No gelatin, I hope!

I recall seeing on the Fry  documentary  they were using a Wavetek function generator; I didn't see what model it was.

I have a Wavetek 180 I use for other purposes, but it requires an external frequency counter for accuracy, as the dial is only a rough approximation of the frequency.

A quick search on ebay yields this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wavetek-12-MHz-Synthesized-Function-Generator-Model-23/254359867828?hash=item3b390791b4:g:Nt0AAOSwfQFdfXm4

It has a built in counter.