Sign in to follow this  
not telling

Violin Case on eBay, NICE. Rare.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Violin-Case-Attributed-A-Stradivari-Workshop-Dimitri-Musafia-certif-/133076871116

This is a total wow. Actually, for once, something on eBay that really is NICE and Rare.

I wanted you all to have a heads up on this. You know, just in case you have an extra humidified glass case with bars and an alarm, but nothing to put in it.

Did you all see this and aren't talking about it for some reason? Tartini's double violin case out of the Stradivari shop?! 

The certificate states that the leather on this case is similar to the leather on a case attributed to the Stradivari workshop, not that the case is from the Stradivari workshop.

I think there just might have been at least one other person in Italy with the initials G T ...

I tried to read the certificate but couldn't make out everything on my phone. 

So...I guess you're saying there was more than one cow in Italy whose hide would make suitable violin case material. Musafia didn't attribute this to the Stradivari shop? Whoops.

But it is nearly 300 years old though? Still cool.

There can't have been that many violin case manufacturing shops at that time. Anyone who made this would be a recognzable name today. Right? Or no. I'd like to know more about this. 

That case has been on eBay approx 5-6 months and on Tarisio before that. We discussed it back when it was first listed. But I guess things in that price range don’t necessarily turn over quickly.