Sign in to follow this  
gowan

New Concertmaster for the Vienna Symphony

i went to see the vienna symphony on tour years ago and i don't remember the piece, but the concertmaster played the first few bars of a solo in the wrong key.  obviously goofing around and pretty funny really

It was interesting if unsurprising to read that Mr Karvay has become the new concertmaster of the Wiener Symfonica. One can read that he is a pupil of Prof Kuschnir, who has long been the star professor in Vienna, and it is almost inevitable that one of his pupils will get a post like that. Prof Kuschnir was for years the main supplier of “talented young artists” for Dietmar Machold, when he needed someone like that to let some bank or insurance company donate a Strad or similar. I had never heard of Mr. Karvay, although I am sure I will. I did know the retired concertmaster, Jan Pospical. He bought himself a new violin by Ingrid Wilske, who worked for me at the time, and also played a Julius Hubika violin, if my memory serves me right. I do not know Julia Maria Pasch at all, except that a customer brought me a cut out, mildly sick inducing, article from the Süddeutsche Zeitung a while ago https://www.sueddeutsche.de/leben/portraet-erste-geige-1.3820324 and asked for my comment. I do not comment on colleagues of course, but the article does inform one that Ms Pasch is the girlfriend of Luder Machold (Machold jun.), so it seems that this  “seilschaft” is alive and well, even if they don’t hand out Strads any more.

Well - I skimmed the article, but unless I take a lot of time reading German (because I don't read often enough) a bit too much subtlety eludes me.

But I'm under the impression that Luder M. is being portrayed as a magical prince of violin marketing - who learned at his father's knee without any "formal" education - but apparently is untouched by also learning any shady tricks of the trade, and through association with him, J. Pasch is able to ask triple her previous asking price for her magical creations and has an enviable waiting list. The pair is glittering with romantic (and profitable) fairy dust. 

Does learning aristocratic tastes in food and drink as a child guarantee on-going success as an adult?

...or am I really missing too much?

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

a customer brought me a cut out, mildly sick inducing, article from the Süddeutsche Zeitung a while ago https://www.sueddeutsche.de/leben/portraet-erste-geige-1.3820324 and asked for my comment.

6 minutes ago, Rue said:

Does learning aristocratic tastes in food and drink as a child guarantee on-going success as an adult?

We shouldn't believe everything what's written in the Süddeutsche (or in the Spiegel), but it's very familiar that you have to talk about everything, music, whine, football and politics, but not violins, if you want to sell one to a certain society. So one should start to practice early enough.:) (Same might apply to other luxury goods)

The other anecdote about the roof log of the Frauenkirche carved to a violin belly I heard in several slightly different versions before, too, but still seems to work well. Didn't invent Vuillaume this kind of promotion story?