Sign in to follow this  
bengreen

Plastic frog rehair

IMG_20191115_145643.jpg.fdfeca74039ae558aced06b721e9438f.jpg

Hi. Anybody have experience hairing this kind of plastic frog? 

Should I ... 

Tie a normal knot, plunk it down into the front compartment and let the constriction at the bottom of the ramp hold in place? 

Try to plug it? 

Throw it in the trash? 

Actually, last one isn't an option. Doing this as a favor for a violin teacher friend who wants to donate it to his school. 

Thanks

27 minutes ago, bengreen said:

Hi. Anybody have experience hairing this kind of plastic frog? 

Should I ... 

Tie a normal knot, plunk it down into the front compartment and let the constriction at the bottom of the ramp hold in place? 

Try to plug it? 

Throw it in the trash? 

Actually, last one isn't an option. Doing this as a favor for a violin teacher friend who wants to donate it to his school. 

Thanks

I’ve rehaired a couple like this. The knot is supposed to go down into the front compartment, held in place by the little opening in the front where the hair can pass through but the knot can’t. I’ve seen a few examples where the original knot wasn’t even pushed down into the compartment.

I actually cut a plug to fit that compartment and fit it so the hair fit in the normal way on one. Those bows are pretty cheap—it’s much cheaper to buy a new one than pay for a rehair. When you can buy bows from China for $12, it just isn’t worth it to do any work on them. I think of them like plastic forks. You can wash them and reuse them, but there isn’t really much point to it. 

Ok, thanks. I'll tie a fat knot and give a good tug before buttoning it up. 

I've washed a few plastic forks in my time. May as well do one more. It's more of a friendship gesture than anything else anyway. 

41 minutes ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

I’ve rehaired a couple like this. The knot is supposed to go down into the front compartment, held in place by the little opening in the front where the hair can pass through but the knot can’t..

I've done some of these, too, and this is how to do it.