Sign in to follow this  
Julian Cossmann Cooke

VSA convention photos

Would anyone like to post photos you took at the VSA convention which concluded on Saturday?  (With your permission, we may end up using them on Instagram or Facebook if you want to send them via PM and give us a name for crediting purposes.  Or we'll use them anonymously if you post publicly, again with your permission.)

This is the only photo I took. I was too focused on people and instruments to think about photos.

These two violas are very nice, BTW. The one on the right has a back of willow and sounded really good. This maker has a lot to be proud of.

AABE2057-4780-4654-8771-EC2F7E52F6EB.jpeg

BTW I ran into my friend Jay, who was taking to Bruce Babbit. Jay had a special Nürnberger violin bow to show Bruce and I got to see it as well. A tortoiseshell frog bow inscribed to Theodore Thomas by the musicians of the Chicago symphony. Back in the 1880s or so. What a cool bow! Bruce said if he’d known about it he would have put it in his book.

The day was full of such things. What a great time.

4 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

BTW I ran into my friend Jay, who was taking to Bruce Babbit. Jay had a special Nürnberger violin bow to show Bruce and I got to see it as well. A tortoiseshell frog bow inscribed to Theodore Thomas by the musicians of the Chicago symphony. Back in the 1880s or so. What a cool bow! Bruce said if he’d known about it he would have put it in his book.

The day was full of such things. What a great time.

Glad you made it, Philip.  Sorry we did not meet, but I was on call pretty much the whole time.  Appreciate your sharing the positive review.

3 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

How many attended as compared to the last Cleveland VSA?

We're waiting for the final numbers, Mike.  Wouldn't be surprised if it was a little lower this year due to the location.  But it was a test to see how we would fare that far from the heartland of our membership.  Next year in LA will be another test, this time of the competition year.  And then it's back to the heartland in '21 and '22.

We hope word about this year's program, including an amazing collection of Venetian instruments, will get around and further incentivize folks to attend in future years.  So far, the reviews have been positive.

16 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

We're waiting for the final numbers, Mike.  Wouldn't be surprised if it was a little lower this year due to the location.  But it was a test to see how we would fare that far from the heartland of our membership.  Next year in LA will be another test, this time of the competition year.  And then it's back to the heartland in '21 and '22.

We hope word about this year's program, including an amazing collection of Venetian instruments, will get around and further incentivize folks to attend in future years.  So far, the reviews have been positive.

CLEVELAND FOREVER

13 minutes ago, joerobson said:

CLEVELAND FOREVER

You know, Joe, I think for every post-convention survey response agreeing with you in 2017, there was probably at least 1 saying "Cleveland never again!"  Being a native Ohioan, I was not one of them, of course.  After we take the convention show on the road for two years to Dallas and LA, folks may change their tune.

1 hour ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

You know, Joe, I think for every post-convention survey response agreeing with you in 2017, there was probably at least 1 saying "Cleveland never again!"  Being a native Ohioan, I was not one of them, of course.  After we take the convention show on the road for two years to Dallas and LA, folks may change their tune.

Dallas is an excellent choice. Should be here always.

While I will readily acknowledge Julian's highly-valuable contributions to VSA Conventions, the Cleveland conventions have been the most convenient for me, so I have always attended, for better or worse. :lol:

One of my rare treasures also happened in Cleveland: A decidedly gay woman, who I have known for many years, reaching back and fondling my leg during a "sexual harassment and gender-prejudice "  lecture, confident that both of us would get some amusement from that.

Geez, does no one have a sense of humor any more?

The hotel charges help pay for the facility use, which are enormous for a VSA competition.

Cleveland is very convient because I can drive and load the car up with purchases from the vendors. I can't do that economically with a plane flight.

2020 in Garden Grove will be exceptionally convenient for ME.  And all you snowbirds that show up will be treated to non-winter.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, PhilipKT said:

This is the only photo I took. I was too focused on people and instruments to think about photos.

These two violas are very nice, BTW. The one on the right has a back of willow and sounded really good. This maker has a lot to be proud of.

AABE2057-4780-4654-8771-EC2F7E52F6EB.jpeg

ulbricht makes great instruments! I cut and processed the willow tree that viola was built from. Sounded pretty damn great.