Maestronet Forums

Overseas shipping - looking for tips!

Goffriller

Hi everyone, 

I am considering selling violins overseas from Canada to Europe, but I had a few questions to ensure that the international buyers are satisfied with the services:

1) Is it usually the dealer or the buyer who pays for shipping? With some postal services (with full insurance), the shipping costs can exceed 600-900$ for a 20k violin. 

2) Which postal services are usually most trusted for fragile packages such as these? 

3) How would you recommend packing the violin? I currently pad the violin in the case, wrap the case in a cloth, and put the case in a cardboard box filled with packing peanuts. Would you leave it set up, or should the bridge be removed to prevent any damage?

Thank you all for your input! If you have any other tips, I would be glad to hear them. 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:02 PM, Goffriller said:

1) Is it usually the dealer or the buyer who pays for shipping? With some postal services (with full insurance), the shipping costs can exceed 600-900$ for a 20k violin. 

I sell violins and ship a lot to Canada and USA with FEDEX and from my side it costs usually not more 100 USD +insurance % of total price, I'm loyal customer and price reduction is 50% from regular.  I try to not buy anything from those countries, because sending with same FEDEX company to EU is circa 3-5 times more. 

I don't know how much of this transfers to shipping internationally, but I had Stringworks ship a cello across the United States for me, and they packed it exactly as you described, fully set up. It arrived almost still in tune, and that was only a padded bag case. They said they only ship FedEx as they said that in their experience FedEx will pay damage claims without a fight, but other shippers won't. Since they ship a lot of instruments I figured they would know best. 

Every experience I have with UPS involves things getting broken. I only ship with them if I have to.