Sign in to follow this  
Lukebow

The influence of different material tailpieces and chinrests on violin Sound

1 hour ago, saintjohnbarleycorn said:

what about the people who use no chinrest? I have been doing that lately, and I can put my chin on the body, and take it off and hear no discernible difference, and a better violin may make a difference, but I do see some good players not use one. 

"....who have short necks."

39 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

"....who have short necks."

Or who simply have developed a style of left hand/arm technique that makes it unnecessary to hold the violin with the chin. This type of player engages the neck only when necessary, such as when shifting to lower positions. 

The constant clamping of the instrument with the chin has been a source of serious occupational injury for more than a few professional players of violin and viola. 

It's worth remembering that there existed incredibly difficult repertoire requiring virtuoso technique well before the development of the chinrest (and obviously, shoulder rest). As often as not, the gizmos and gadgets developed for musical instruments aren't truly advances, but gimmicks or even crutches at worst that can ultimately do more harm than good. That goes for things we put on the violin and in the violin.

On 11/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, Don Noon said:

My thought too, which is why I reinforce the rib on the bass side of the lower block.717957015_sidemountreinforcement.jpg.6a886fb79805140db618d6b70fc4164a.jpg

I remember Ed Campbell told me he made the lower left rib a double thickness to withstand the stress of chinrest pressure.