Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Collin-Mezin


Potter
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, as an overview- we played upwards of 40 violins at two reputable dealers in the 6-10k range. Three adult violinists, two teachers and a

professor /conductor put two violins at the top.

The old German with relatively deep grooves worn along its fingerboard, and a soundpost repair. And the CM. The CM was judged to have 

much better projection. And we have a marketable fiddle at a two or more thousand dollars less than I see them retail on line.

And it’s at a dealer who will give us 100% trade in, as they did with the Mittenwald 3/4. Repeating myself, any notion of the name or even value of the violin is about my daughter

wanting to change dealers and lose the trade in.

Where that might leave us. 

My daughter turned 11 last month and will start the Bruch after the holidays, so if she stays at it, 

this may very well be an issue.

so as a whole, without spending 6 months traveling around the country, I feel pretty good about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Blank face said:

Laberte label would have been more economical

But wouldnt you be a fool to buy such a thing when you could sort through a bunch of Jay Haides and find a better sounding instrument? You can play this game forever. I think the OP made a fine choice even though its possible to get an even better deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr Potter, You have done yeoman duty, and have earned congratulations! As Dean’s says, it is always possible to find a better deal, But there comes a time when you just have to say what you’ve got gives what you want now and in the future and then you just stop. Congratulations.

Now for a bow!

Also, as a teacher myself, with a very strong interest in good music that is off the beaten path, I hope you will encourage your teacher to look for fresh repertoire. There is a tremendous amount of excellent music that is never played only because it is never played, And your daughter has seven relatively free years in which to expand her repertoire freely. Once she gets to college she will have much less freedom.

blessings!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, deans said:

But wouldnt you be a fool to buy such a thing when you could sort through a bunch of Jay Haides and find a better sounding instrument? You can play this game forever. I think the OP made a fine choice even though its possible to get an even better deal.

You misunderstood the intention. It was made in defence of the Ficker violin.^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

My son likes the sound of a few Collin-Mezin violins he has heard. I understand that not all are created equal! This message is for the original poster Potter. Would you mind sharing the name of the dealers that you got the CMs on trial from? They seem to have the CMs at a fair price. I have not had much luck locating them at good prices. Thanks so much!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BWH said:

My son likes the sound of a few Collin-Mezin violins he has heard. I understand that not all are created equal! This message is for the original poster Potter. Would you mind sharing the name of the dealers that you got the CMs on trial from? They seem to have the CMs at a fair price. I have not had much luck locating them at good prices. Thanks so much!!

...and if you read this thread, you understand they are not priced equally as well... and that, other than the years (post 1900), we knew little about the violins in question.

Would you mind sharing what you think a "good price" is?  Might help us help you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The shop we bought hers from does not specialize in them, just the one of two that came to the top sound wise. We have been happy with it. It did seem there were levels of quality, someone supplied links where you could determine through labeling and pencil signatures on inside. The only part of our choice the name played into was helping resale if we could not find a violin at this shop through trade in and needed to sell it to get the next one. (If that is ever needed.)  We did not pay what pre-1900 Collin-Mezins go for, no where close. It’s a really nice balanced bright to dark violin that projects well. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Potter said:

The shop we bought hers from does not specialize in them, just the one of two that came to the top sound wise. We have been happy with it. It did seem there were levels of quality, someone supplied links where you could determine through labeling and pencil signatures on inside. The only part of our choice the name played into was helping resale if we could not find a violin at this shop through trade in and needed to sell it to get the next one. (If that is ever needed.)  We did not pay what pre-1900 Collin-Mezins go for, no where close. It’s a really nice balanced bright to dark violin that projects well. 

 

Well, it’s been a year, she finished Bruch and now is on....?

hopefully one of those glorious Haydn Concertos? Bach A Minor? The Vitali chaconne? 
Endless possibilities.

And what bow did you end up with?

”inquiring Minds want to know!”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Well, it’s been a year, she finished Bruch and now is on....?

hopefully one of those glorious Haydn Concertos? Bach A Minor? The Vitali chaconne? 
Endless possibilities.

And what bow did you end up with?

”inquiring Minds want to know!”

Also, if you don't mind me asking - any feedback on CM violin of yours after a year of playing, please :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The violin, as I said has been great for her. It has great balance across the strings. She uses Rondo strings with PI platinum E. (this E string really made a difference, seemed to open up the G.)  She started the Bruch later in the Spring and then COVID came. She is finishing 3rd movement. But during that time she has put together a mean Zigeunerwiesen and worked through most of a couple of partitas. And most of Kreutzer and started Don't etudes. And just started her first Paganini Caprice. We live very rurally, the upside of COVID is she had some access that might otherwise not have happened. In the last 3 months she has had masterclasses with Almita Vamos, Soovin Kim, and Midori. 

I don't know in the end how the 'value' will work out. At the moment, It needs a bit of touch up where a nail on her bow hand was striking while she was wailing on the Zig. She's corrected that but left some marks. We like it enough we will consider hanging on to it even if she needs another. She hasn't had the chance to play many higher level violins, so not many comparisons. I've mentioned before we went to the contemporary exhibition in NYC for fun. There were a couple there, esp. Wilbaux that wowed her. But not likely to go shopping until she heads to college (if she stays on this track, she is 12, who knows.)

Someone advised us when choosing that we not go with the dark, warm German violin that we also looked at.That if she was going to continue and possibly due competitions she needed something brighter and with more projection. I do feel that was right. 

All this from someone that knows little about all this, but have enjoyed dropping in here and learning a few things, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...