Sign in to follow this  
raytaylor

Replacing peg inlays....

I have an old Roth that had diamond shaped gold inlays on the pegs. Over the years, three have these have fallen out and disappeared. Is there anywhere I can send them to get them repaired?  I know it might be easier to simply replace the pegs altogether, but the ones it has work so well I'd really like to keep them.

There are places you can buy peg ornaments made from gold, but most of these are a type to fit onto a peg end, rather than inlaid.
Maybe show it to a jeweller and see what they say about making the missing inlays.

Unless you could identify the company that made the inserts, and they had some on hand, four new pegs would be cheaper.

Picture?

Might I suggest a repair? You could fill the holes the inserts were in with gold nail polish. If you used a toothpick to carefully apply the nail polish and took your time doing it -  it would look good.

I don't see why this wouldn't quality as a legitimate repair either. Nail polish is lacquer- nitrocellulose I think.

Thanks for the responses. "GeorgeH," that appears to be exactly what I need. I think I'll give that a try.  "Rue," very clever idea, although I don't know if it would match the shine of the intact one. I might give it a try nevertheless. "A432," yes, simply replacing them would likely be easier and possibly cheaper, but they have been really fitted well and work absolutely perfectly, so I would really like to keep them.

http://www.dov-music.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3335

10 bucks and the cost of someone shaving/fitting them vs.

hundreds of dollars in custom work 

I suppose you could search Dovs site and find gold caps that match yours,buy the pegs, destroy them by cutting/prying out the gold cap and then re installing them into your pegs with epoxy and then refinishing your pegs...ie hundreds of dollars in custom work.

all fittings on violins should be considered "disposable" to a certain extent and I certainly wouldn't suggest someone spend lots of money on repairing them unless they had some historic significance.

Take a look a Dovs site, you might find something you like better than what you have now.

Not to mention shredding the strings!

I don't think the gold laquer would have the same polished shine that real gold has. Even the gold leaf I've seen used in iconography has  dull finish compared to polished gold.

1 hour ago, Bill Yacey said:

Not to mention shredding the strings!

I don't think the gold laquer would have the same polished shine that real gold has. Even the gold leaf I've seen used in iconography has  dull finish compared to polished gold.

You're right. But it would be an inexpensive reasonable repair. It's like buying touch up paint for a small scratch on car versus having the entire repainted at ab autobody shop.

19 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Rue, your nails look amazing :P
I do worry about what they do to your viola fingerboard!

I wish. However, reality currently looks like this. All fingerboard are safe.:

20191104_134606.jpg

12 hours ago, Rue said:

You're right. But it would be an inexpensive reasonable repair. It's like buying touch up paint for a small scratch on car versus having the entire repainted at ab autobody shop.

I wish. However, reality currently looks like this. All fingerboard are safe.:

20191104_134606.jpg

Oh yuck!? Fungus or trauma?