Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Question about viola bridge dimensions

Is there a set size for a viola bridge? I have a new bridge on an old Juzek viola and the strings seem to be widely placed and the blade of the bridge looks bit thick.

is there a specific thickness and spacing for a viola bridge??I’m not sure this is true, but it seems logical that the fingerboard would be the same width regardless of the body size, although of course the string length would be different.

any input?

Viola bridge blanks (and violin) come in a variety of widths. What is chosen usually depends on the width of the instrument and where the foot is positioned in relationship with the bass bar. But from what I see, most shops set the string spacing roughly the same no matter what size, maybe a little narrower on smaller instruments. I have violas of all sizes and I believe they are all at about 37mm. Others may make different choices.

Most usually I use bridges ranging from 48 mm to 52 mm (selected based on the various placement of the bar and width of the ffs).... but I keep a few 46 mm bridges around so I have 'm when I need 'em.

Well, the viola went to the violin shop, verified that the bridge is indeed a little bit wider than normal, but his advice was to just live with it.