Sign in to follow this  
germain

Two certificates and still not real?

8 hours ago, jacklinks said:

What were the two repaired holes on both sides of the C-bouts for (why did someone put holes in them later)? 

Someone tried to grill it, guess it wasn't so tasty.

Perhaps the certificates were written before the top was replaced.

Well, the Wurlitzer paper is signed by Jay C. Freeman. Between Freeman, Duffy, and Machold you could wallpaper a bathroom with spurious papers. As for Brandvig, I know nothing of him aside from this paper.

A Wurlitzer paper signed by Freeman does warrant a second look over the instrument, but not for the obvious reasons...

13 minutes ago, Navyasw02 said:

What paper is worthwhile? For bows I see a lot of raffin papers. How about millant?

They and Salchow, and a few others, are considered the standard at present for French bows.

3 hours ago, Dani Tsui said:

And what about this one? Shouldn´t a certificate from Jacques Francais be reliable?

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199060480&cpid=3594158080&filter_key=

I thought the same thing but then again when I looked at it up-close it did not look like a very well made instrument. The sound was GREAT. 

3 hours ago, Dani Tsui said:

And what about this one? Shouldn´t a certificate from Jacques Francais be reliable?

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199060480&cpid=3594158080&filter_key=

I realise that I am not answering your question, but since I have to (rare occurrence) write a certificate in the English language, I wanted to ask if the phrase “is genuine of this maker in all its parts” is grammatically kosher English, or if it even represents the truth. After all the bridge or the neck, the pegs or the tail piece certainly aren‘t original (assuming any of it is). On German certificates one usually writes that the “wesentliche Teile sind echt und zussamengehörig” which is a bit clumsy and needs explanation too.

"Wesentliche Teile" is usually defined as the empty box (without bar, blocks, linings etc. which can be all replacements) and pegbox/scroll. Don't know if the same applies in the rest of the world.

8 minutes ago, Blank face said:

"Wesentliche Teile" is usually defined as the empty box (without bar, blocks, linings etc. which can be all replacements) and pegbox/scroll. Don't know if the same applies in the rest of the world.

Yeah, People always ask me, it's all "wesentlich" isnt it?

If you analyze the contents and wording of certificates they are just worth the paper they are written on. 

Most what is written is clumsy or not necessary to write. All the descriptive part came presumably from a time photographs were not attached to the certificate. (So IMO uneccesary bla bla to fill empty paper) No certificate gives any reasons why the issuer of the certificate came to such a conclusion not even for a non original part. 

In German law certificates have a legally binding validity of 30 years which means that both certificates in this case are just worthless ornamentation to hook up naive buyers. And apparently it happened that the writer of the second certificate just jumped on the opinion of the first. 

Rumors I heard in the US about Jay Freemsn were that he was a gambler and each time he would need money he would toss off a violin with one of his certificates for s quicker sale.