Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

VSA Best Day to go?

So, I joined the VSA, paid that ghastly membership cost, just so I could have the pleasure of Spending an additional $99 a day. These prices are really shocking, even more so to my beloved Boss, who frowns on Frivolous expenses. I have not found a calendar of events, so in addition to my question, I hope someone can share one. If I can only go one day, which day do you guys recommend?

I’m looking forward to meeting as many fellow ‘netters as possible. Although She who must be Obeyed will disagree, I think that’s worth the price of admission by itself.

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

You can have „Member of the Violin Society of America“ printed on your new visiting cards now!

I can’t afford to have them made. I’ve got to spend $99 to get in...

By the way, the best Sushi in Dallas is walking distance from the hotel. 1/4 mile due north.

Sushi Sake. They close at 2, so don’t miss it.

Burger King is also about 100 yards from the hotel. Decisions, decisions...

Edited by PhilipKT
Addendum

I believe the two year membership of the VSA works out to $0.22 per day and if you wish to think of the joy that spending the extra $99 will bring, you can think of it as a year of education, beautiful instrument memories and names on the net turned into real people and perhaps friends all for a total daily cost of $0.49 for this year. Now that doesn't sound so bad does it. Oh, and no-one is making you go. I understand that it is entirely voluntary.

Edited by Televet
Correcting my sums and punctuation

1 hour ago, Televet said:

I believe the two year membership of the VSA works out to $0.22 per day and if you wish to think of the joy that spending the extra $99 will bring, you can think of it as a year of education, beautiful instrument memories and names on the net turned into real people and perhaps friends all for a total daily cost of $0.49 for this year. Now that doesn't sound so bad does it. Oh, and no-one is making you go. I understand that it is entirely voluntary.

Wouldn’t it be better if the price were lowered so that the average freelance musician, who certainly has an interest in such things, could participate?

I have more than one colleague who is looking for a nice instrument or bow and if I understand it correctly, this is a splendid opportunity to talk directly with new makers and play their wares.

yes I’m going and yes I joined, so obviously the cost didn’t dissuade me, but I’m allowed to question why it is so high.

I am not a member myself, though I intend to join soon. $100 a year doesn't sound unreasonable for membership in what amounts to a hybrid professional society / violin fanciers club. They put out a good journal that often contains useful practical information for those in the trade. I can understand it might not be for everyone, but if you take a look at their annual report (all non profits put them out) the finances will probably make a lot more sense to you. 

Saturday, and meet Bruce Babbitt. There will also be the most people.

It is certainly quieter on Thursday. More time with the instruments, but the Bow Session would be worth it, i bet.

You will rave about how much was learned... and being in Texas, you have already saved airfare.