Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Krieger

Glue Question

Does anyone know whether heating a bow stick that has been glued with either G2 or Insta-Cure + sold by International Violin, will come apart especially if pressure is applied, for example, straightening the stick?

I would think there is a high risk with the Insta-cure coming apart.  I would be less worried with the G2 coming apart.

But I have never done a test with G2.

Heat is a common way to release Cyanoacrylate.

Dorian

I cannot tell you anything about the specific glues that you mention.  But I a few years ago I asked a very highly respected bow maker and restorer for advice about straightening  a bow in an area with a long scarf joint head graft glued with an unknown type of glue.  He advised wrapping the scarf joint tightly with thread and proceeding very cautiously.  I never summoned the courage to try it.

Thanks for these responses. Normally I would wrap the area with wire. I was just curious about whether G2 would come apart with that kind of heat. Makes sense that Cyanoacrylate would.