Sign in to follow this  
Guido

Buzz-ted

I've tried everything.

Spend a couple of hours this morning trying to eliminate a buzz from a Mittenwald Verleger.

The buzz occurs when plucking or bowing the open G-sting. It is not related to the pitch and it doesn't buzz when the sting is fingered.

For testing, among other things, I ended up changing out the tailpiece and I tried different strings. Same buzz.

The fingerboard has proper scoop and sufficient clearing. To be sure I propped up the bridge with two cut-off lining pieces under the feet. Buzz.

Of course, I checked all seams and purfling; and I'm running out of options.

Any ideas before I pop the top off to check bass bar and linings? Would be a shame as the violin has zero repairs and I don't think it was ever opened.

Nut slot? (wrong width, depth or angle, or fingerboard going downhill towards nut making slot appear correct but vibrating string hits the board near nut...)

Strings nearly touching in the pegbox?

3 minutes ago, HoGo said:

Nut slot? (wrong width, depth or angle, or fingerboard going downhill towards nut making slot appear correct but vibrating string hits the board near nut...)

Strings nearly touching in the pegbox?

I have tried sticking my finger into the pegbox and onto the nut from all angles to see if it would do anything w/o effect; removed string by string and still got the buzz will only the g string left (held the bridge in place with my other hand). I think I can exclude the pegbox. Will have another look at the nut (but it did look fairly standard).

15 minutes ago, Eloffe said:

try upward pressure on the bridge end of the fingerboard and check for separation from the neck

Good one! But did it already.

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

Is there some gunk stuck between the f-hole tongue and the eye?

I have forgotten to check for this! Thanks. Will have a look later.

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

Sounds like a bass bar problem, if anything else is counted out. Does tapping the unstrung box give any noise?

I have tried tapping around the box when unstrung and also applying light pressure to the bass bar end areas when creating the buzz. No indication gained.

I think I got it.

i was very excited to see the lower treble f wing gunked into contact but after freeing it up I realised it wasn’t the cause.

So, getting more confident that the problem would be inside, i did another round of tapping. A bit stronger with the knuckle this time. Got a rattle around the upper end of the bass bar after all. I guess that’s it then.

What I check and is not mentioned yet

if the label is somewhere loose (if the Verleger thing has a label?)

if the bridge parchent is glued well.

the cross bar on the tailpiece (don't know the correct English word but hopefully it can be understood) can make noise too when it is getting loose

To rule out the nut I would press the string down (toward the fingerboard) with the edge of a steel rule right at the fingerboard side of the nut while plucking the string.  If it doesn't buzz when you do this, the nut is the problem.  If it still buzzes, look elsewhere.

You could also test the nut by moving the G string into the D string groove.

2 hours ago, Guido said:

...Got a rattle around the upper end of the bass bar... I guess that’s it then.

Maybe not.  I've heard of loose bass bars that didn't buzz.

3 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

To rule out the nut I would press the string down (toward the fingerboard) with the edge of a steel rule right at the fingerboard side of the nut while plucking the string.  If it doesn't buzz when you do this, the nut is the problem.  If it still buzzes, look elsewhere.

You could also test the nut by moving the G string into the D string groove.

My thought was to slide a wire under the G string right up to the nut, with the wire just slightly larger in diameter than the string clearance to get it out of the groove.

Logically, the G string fundamental doesn't move much of anything else on the instrument very strongly, so it seems that a buzz elsewhere should get excited by other vibrations and not so much by just the open G.  But then, a lot of things about violins don't seem to be very logical.

Since the buzz occurs only on the open string (as I understand the descriptions), I too would first suspect an issue with the string groove in the upper nut being rounded off on the fingerboard side. This can happen either from  initial misshaping. or wear.