Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Coleman

Del Gesu Messeas 1731 cello

1 hour ago, AtlVcl said:

I have it on excellent authority that there was a period when every string instrument that came thru Moennig's was French polished. Was it for pecuniary marketing purposes? (he asks rhetorically...)

We were told that they were, "Moennigized"! (A play on the Simoniz wax commercials)

1 hour ago, AtlVcl said:

I have it on excellent authority that there was a period when every string instrument that came thru Moennig's was French polished. Was it for pecuniary marketing purposes? (he asks rhetorically...)

I think it would be safe to say that almost every violin that has ever been sold has been polished many times, either with alcohol/shellac/x , or wax.

The problem behavior from the Moennig shop wasn't really "polishing", it was applying an overcoat of glossy varnish. 

Duane beat me to it. It's become a verb, although I say "Moenniged".

As a total non-pro I am not opposed to a shiny finish on an old instrument, but it seems like it needs to fit the "look" of it. A cello like this one that was "rustic" looking even when brand new just looks odd with the glossy sheen on it. 

1 hour ago, scordatura said:

Interestingly enough, Bein and Fushi has moved to a decidedly anti French polish/gloss stance of late. I wonder if they did not mess with the DG (or filius) cello in this thread when they had it. That or someone after them polished it. I will ask my friend there what the story is on this cello next time we talk.

Yes, just as I said, at one time it was common to French polish, and then fashions changed, and it is now looked down upon. Of course, Bein & Fuschia is part of the fashion change in the marketplace.

1 hour ago, Kevin Kelly said:

The problem behavior from the Moennig shop wasn't really "polishing", it was applying an overcoat of glossy varnish. 

I don't know why it should be a "problem behavior" just because it happened to sell instruments at prices that were quickly going out of grasp's reach of professional musicians, even with concomitant tax benefits available at the time. Anyone remember "investment tax credit"?

I have two colleagues who play nice instruments that were bought from Moennig. both look French polished, and decades later they're still beautiful to look at. One is a million + $ Ruggeri cello, of which I've seen 4-5 over the years. At that elevated price level, I suggest "beauty" is part of the deal. (And granted that "beauty" is in the eye of the you-know-who...)

9 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Hello.

who was he? I’ve tried to find out but an Internet search didn’t reveal anything about Del Gesu Masseas.

It's messiest spelled creatively.

;)