Sign in to follow this  
fiddlerjer

Drill for f-holes

1 hour ago, fiddlerjer said:

What is the drill tool that Davide Sora uses in this video? It looks great but I've never seen anything quite like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYbxNPCGuY&feature=youtu.be

If you look at the notes to the video, someone asks that question, and Davide responds:

No special order, I bought them here : https://www.liuteriashop.com/it/attrezzatura/utensile-fori-effe-viola But I do not see the ones for violin anymore, it seems they are over, try to ask them. Anyway the one for the upper eye they was selling was too big for my taste, so I had to make it smaller from the original 6.5 mm diameter to my preferred 6 mm diameter. the one for lower eyes is fine as is sold at 9 mm.

I have a set from Dictum, from 5.5 mm to 10mm in i/2mm steps. They're very reasonable and  work  very well.  

In order to centre the pilot  drill properly, I use a thick piece of plexiglas with a series  of  concentric  circles  scribed on it, and a guide hole in the middle.  I can look through  the  plastic,  line up with the f hole eye, and drill through very exactly. 

1 hour ago, Nick Allen said:

The only thing with those is if you drill the 3/32" hole off centered,then you can't use it for that hole or you'll have a mislocated f hole eye. 

One of the advantages of the Dictum set mentioned by Conor is that if you are a little off on the guide hole, you do have the option of using a smaller drill "bit" and then finishing up with a knife.  Unless your knife skills are up to it, the result may be more appropriate for non-Cremonese schools...

1 hour ago, Conor Russell said:

I have a set from Dictum, from 5.5 mm to 10mm in i/2mm steps. They're very reasonable and  work  very well.  

In order to centre the pilot  drill properly, I use a thick piece of plexiglas with a series  of  concentric  circles  scribed on it, and a guide hole in the middle.  I can look through  the  plastic,  line up with the f hole eye, and drill through very exactly. 

brilliant idea thanks

I like Davide's starter hole drill.  If you can't help yourself and overkill is in your blood, then Schröder makes a nifty, small egg beater drill for which you can buy a range of very small jeweler's bits -- with emphasis on the very (starting at .03mm)  -- and it works like a dream.  Got mine courtesy of our own Dwight Brown for applying bling to some peg heads.  

Hm, I think for the time being I am going to cut f-holes on my first violin with a knife and hope I can get the curvature accurate by hand. Maybe will score the outline with a brad point bit in an eggbeater and use that to guide the knife.

1 hour ago, fiddlerjer said:

Hm, I think for the time being I am going to cut f-holes on my first violin with a knife and hope I can get the curvature accurate by hand. Maybe will score the outline with a brad point bit in an eggbeater and use that to guide the knife.

If you're careful you can just use a sharp brad point bit for the hole. That's what I do with a hand power drill. Very low pressure and slow speed with backing so you won't blow out coming through. After that I cut the rest of the f hole with a knife. Never could get the hang of roughing out with a jewler's saw first.

5 hours ago, bkwood said:

If you're careful you can just use a sharp brad point bit for the hole. That's what I do with a hand power drill. Very low pressure and slow speed with backing so you won't blow out coming through. After that I cut the rest of the f hole with a knife. Never could get the hang of roughing out with a jewler's saw first.

I've started cutting the ff's with just a knife as well.  It feels more controlled than with a saw and ends up taking about the same amount of time. 

I imagine that 90% or more of the good Italian violins were made WITHOUT that tool.  Some of them are even oval, and not perfectly round.

If you make a smaller hole, you will make it larger quickly with a round file, or even sandpaper wrapped in a round piece of wood.

8 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

I imagine that 90% or more of the good Italian violins were made WITHOUT that tool.  Some of them are even oval, and not perfectly round.

If you make a smaller hole, you will make it larger quickly with a round file, or even sandpaper wrapped in a round piece of wood.

Yeah, just drill the holes. It takes about 5-10 sec.. (do it from both sides). Then adjust to perfection ;)