Sign in to follow this  
zdalton13

Guarneri Vieuxtemps nut to root distance

I remembering reading somewhere that the distance from the nut to the root on a Guarneri is 138mm. However I can't remember where I picked this up. I'm looking at the Strad poster of the Vieuxtemps and the neck appears at and angle on the poster so the the bottom of the root and both edges are visible and I cannot get and accurate measure. the distance from the nut to the closest edge is 134mm and the farther edge is 137mm. This gives me an average of 135.5mm which doesn't seem right at all. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Just set the neck as you would for any other violin. It has already been re-set on the old violin, certainly more than once, so what ever it is now was the shop number of the last restorer. 

Nut 5.5+neck 130+set into the body 6.5+/- or what ever you use so long as it isn't too deep or too shallow.

3 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Have you set the body stop length yet?

I have not put tool to wood yet. I'm just planning it out and getting all my ducks in a row. I had planned on using the stop length that is listed on the poster of 194mm.

3 hours ago, duane88 said:

Just set the neck as you would for any other violin. It has already been re-set on the old violin, certainly more than once, so what ever it is now was the shop number of the last restorer. 

Nut 5.5+neck 130+set into the body 6.5+/- or what ever you use so long as it isn't too deep or too shallow.

I guess I'm just overthinking this.

13 hours ago, duane88 said:

That looks about right to me also. On instruments with  a really abnormal stop a case can be made for using a neck length (edge to nut) to stop ratio of 2/3 which gives  a normal feel to the neck when shifting but fingerings a bit closer than "normal" or some people would increase the neck length to keep the spacing between fingers "normal" but that would mean shifting might feel a bit strange. With a stop of 194 I would set it just as Duane said.