Sign in to follow this  
twcellist

Any experience with Galliane Frog

I initially posted this in the FIngerboard section thinking this topic is related to technical aspects of playing, but it also relates to the hardware side I guess. 

Does anybody have experience playing with a Galliane Frog for cello?. It's created by Benoit Rolland and the claim is that helps with bowing. http://www.benoitrolland.com/play-galliane.php

I'm sceptical, especially About the Need for this solution, as I do not believe there is a Problem, at least not for Cello. I do not think it is hard at all to hold the bow in such a way that all the hair touches the string, and do that at times when I Need a lot of Sound. But most of the time, I do not want complete contact with the bow hair. My gut Feeling is that this Invention makes the Sound harder to influence, rather than easier to influence.

I don't have any experience with the galliane frog (or the cello), but I admire Benoit Rolland for trying. I'm reminded of this quote from Steve Jobs:

IMG_1180.PNG

Well, the Invention has been around since 2012, I think. I haven't seen anyone using this frog, and there are no endorsements by great or een semi-great Players to be found online, at least not with a quick net search. I'm sure Benoit Rolland is a great bow maker, and that the frog does ist Job, but I remain sceptical that it is in fact an improvement, particularly for Cello.

I fit one to a customer's Sartory bow a few years back.  He really liked the idea of it.  I think he tried it for awhile then switched it to a backup bow.  

Sometimes I think a particular tool sounds like a good idea.  Then I get it, try it, and realize it doesn't work as well as I hoped.

Sometimes, what seems like a good idea, doesn't work as well in practical everyday use.

A bowmaker told me it wasn't a new idea.  Other bow makers in the past had tried it and abandoned...... 

Dorian

The main purported innovation in this frog seems to be that it tilts the hair ribbon.  But this has been done before.  Here's a picture of the frog on a bow owned by a man I play with every week:

crooked bow frog.JPG

The head of this bow is tilted at the same angle.  It's a commercial German bow, about 75 to 100 years old.  I posted pictures of it on this forum in 2008 and a discussion ensued:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/317687-has-anyone-seen-a-bow-like-this/