Sign in to follow this  
Nik Kyklo

Baroque Tailpieces / Plans?

Hello. I am interested to make baroque tailpiece for violin and viola.
Does anyone know where can I find exact plans of baroque tailpieces (and if there are original to the instrument they belong)?
I read some previous discussions here but there is not something specific. Ashmolean Museum's (and NMM) plans include tailpieces, but I am not sure what to choose. Sacconi has the Strad patterns but not exact dimensions. I don't know any other resources for tailpieces.
Thank you

15 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

http://www.baroquemaster.de/saitenhalter.htm. These are practical working examples of fingerboards and tail pieces, but not from any specific instrument. I wouldn't make a tailpiece out of spruce however - even with the ebony veneer it may not be strong enough

Thank you very much for your reply. I already tried these and made 2 -3 tailpieces in the past. I am just trying to find something closer to the original flat bottom tailpieces of Stradivari / Amati family etc. Something that has more detail's than Sacconi's patterns. 

Or alternatively, here is a plan I found online at the time but don't remember the source or if it is a copy of something or just generic.

Picture1.jpg

6 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

http://www.baroquemaster.de/saitenhalter.htm. These are practical working examples of fingerboards and tail pieces, but not from any specific instrument. I wouldn't make a tailpiece out of spruce however - even with the ebony veneer it may not be strong enough

It is strong enough. I have even made them with Paulownia, which, while I wouldn't recommend it or do it again, still held. 

On 10/22/2019 at 6:52 PM, Guido said:

Or alternatively, here is a plan I found online at the time but don't remember the source or if it is a copy of something or just generic.

Picture1.jpg

It seems to me that in photos of actual baroque tailpieces  they appear to be flat on top and bottom rather than radiused (with a step on the bottom, making the tailgut end thicker).

Edited by Guglielmus Carinius