Sign in to follow this  
Guest

When Maestronet Is History...

Recommended Posts

Guest

Who will take over when the long time admin people and main contributors pass away? Does anyone else wonder if the website will continue without these main characters and what will become of all the data?  Is there a plan? Has this been discussed before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventually the sun will expand and consume the earth. Not much we can do about that. The way things are going now, it seems kind of unlikely we'll still be here when it happens. So live here in the present. Let someone else worry about Maestronet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MarkBouquet said:

Eventually the sun will expand and consume the earth. Not much we can do about that. The way things are going now, it seems kind of unlikely we'll still be here when it happens. So live here in the present. Let someone else worry about Maestronet.

That would be a good opportunity for a fire sale on fiddles;  All the customers can fiddle while earth burns.:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

That would be a good opportunity for a fire sale on fiddles;  All the customers can fiddle while earth burns.:ph34r:

Something better appreciated from an interstellar distance.  There's nothing wrong with planning ahead.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ernest Martel said:

Who will take over when the long time admin people and main contributors pass away? Does anyone else wonder if the website will continue without these main characters and what will become of all the data?  Is there a plan? Has this been discussed before?

Jeff is a cyborg.  He'll be doing this until the end comes.  And just before that, he will blast off in what he has disguised as his cabin and take up residence -- along with Maestronet -- on another habitable planet where the native species sports two heads, allowing a single virtuoso to play both parts of Bach's D minor concerto to an audience twice the size of what a hall normally would accommodate because every one has four ears.  

I may have a future as a futurist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Something better appreciated from an interstellar distance.  There's nothing wrong with planning ahead.  :)

What does your cataclysm preparedness stash consist of? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally feel that something once it is online is online forever. Unless somebody actually deletes it. The question is rather like what are we going to do when the Sun gets big.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ernest Martel said:

Who will take over when the long time admin people and main contributors pass away? Does anyone else wonder if the website will continue without these main characters and what will become of all the data?  Is there a plan? Has this been discussed before?

I think this is a serious matter. Our hosts (based here in Toronto) could decide to close up shop at any time (not that I think they will as the site provides a ongoing income with comparatively little investment). But if they do decide to turn the servers off all the info here will be removed from the public domain. This is one of the reasons why I helped pull together the Bass book -- this important IP now exists in a shareable form that will endure. But there are countless posts from knowledgeable contributors that will disappear if and when the site closes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

I think this is a serious matter. Our hosts (based here in Toronto) could decide to close up shop at any time (not that I think they will as the site provides a ongoing income with comparatively little investment). But if they do decide to turn the servers off all the info here will be removed from the public domain. This is one of the reasons why I helped pull together the Bass book -- this important IP now exists in a shareable form that will endure. But there are countless posts from knowledgeable contributors that will disappear if and when the site closes. 

It is serious. Realistically, it should all be backed up to a couple different holders to maintain, as the information contained here is unobtainable elsewhere in it's wide variety of subjects and compiled knowledge. However, I don't know how problematic it would be for at least two other individuals to be backing up what must be a huge data base by now, on a regular basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Funny thing happened last night. Not long after watching the Ted Koppel videos our neighborhood had a power outage. Thankfully it was just a few minutes. Once we lost power for 10 days after a bad storm. I do have a generator and food/water stores. I also have stored gasoline and propane. I'd rather be prepared then not. 

I never before realized how vulnerable our power grids are and how the internet can be used as a weapon. Scary stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
41 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

I think this is a serious matter. Our hosts (based here in Toronto) could decide to close up shop at any time (not that I think they will as the site provides a ongoing income with comparatively little investment). But if they do decide to turn the servers off all the info here will be removed from the public domain. This is one of the reasons why I helped pull together the Bass book -- this important IP now exists in a shareable form that will endure. But there are countless posts from knowledgeable contributors that will disappear if and when the site closes. 

Yes these were my main thoughts too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Jeff is a cyborg.  He'll be doing this until the end comes.  And just before that, he will blast off in what he has disguised as his cabin and take up residence -- along with Maestronet -- on another habitable planet where the native species sports two heads, allowing a single virtuoso to play both parts of Bach's D minor concerto to an audience twice the size of what a hall normally would accommodate because every one has four ears.  

I may have a future as a futurist.

I recommend Baen Books as a destination for your manuscripts.  https://www.baen.com/ :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Jeff is a cyborg.  He'll be doing this until the end comes.  And just before that, he will blast off in what he has disguised as his cabin and take up residence -- along with Maestronet -- on another habitable planet where the native species sports two heads, allowing a single virtuoso to play both parts of Bach's D minor concerto to an audience twice the size of what a hall normally would accommodate because every one has four ears.  

I may have a future as a futurist.

 

All joking aside, Jeffrey is actually our moderator not the site owner. The business owners of the Maestronet forum and servers are based in Toronto. Sadly if Maestronet closes shop (which I don't think it will any time soon as it is an easy source of income for the owners) Jeffrey's posts will disappear along with everyone else 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

That would be a good opportunity for a fire sale on fiddles;  All the customers can fiddle while earth burns.:ph34r:

I always wanted to open up a shop and call it "Nero's" :lol:

https://www.woodfloorbusiness.com/floormasters/viewforum.php?f=1

 

this is an example of what can happen to forums when they die...this solution was figured out AD but I see no reason why the owners here could not preemptively  pass it on to someone or some business that would want to keep it going....

believe me, when floormasters was hot and happening,no one ever thought it would go away, but it did, BUT the intent of "saving" all that information was done like this....

it did morph into something else , but I think the reality is that even if an entire forum is "saved" and even if there is tons of info in there,it seems only active forums get "activity" "read only" is nice"but because it is not active,it seems to be forgotten. 

I don't think there's much money if any in running these forums and think they are mostly a labor of love, and so a big thanks to the guys for keeping it going all these years...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Logan and I used to talk and write about this. He shared many personal stories of his experiences as a student of Dorothy DeLay and others, and as a dealer and connoisseur of rare violins, as so many on here have, and probably he never did write down everything somewhere else. I told him he should but he had a big house and a wife to take care of. I've still got his PMs, which at least were automatically backed up into gmail, but they're just sitting there. Maestronet used to go down for a couple of days at a time. That doesn't happen these days, but you still have to wonder what happens to all of this if that happens again, permanently.  I miss him. He's just one example of someone who kept a pretty low profile about his actual knowledge and experience,  but so many could benefit from his ideas. I hope Maestronet doesn't go away too. It's a valuable library for the violin world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.