Maestronet Forums

Cello Id please

12 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Congrats!

so happy it turned out well. What did the setup include? Except for a short fingerboard, and maybe no endpin, I can’t think of any difference.

and isn’t Schonbach in Bohemia?so your guy agreed with the opinions here?

finally, was there a bow?

Thanks. No, there was no bow, as far as I know. Not sure about your setup question? It now retains his baroque bassbar, has a baroque tailpiece and removable endpin. Also since the neck was loose he reworked it and gave it a more baroque appearance. I'll post a side view when I have access to my camera.

Kessi, congratulations on your restored Cello. I think ist great you got it repaired.

There are a number of Features that Point to it being made a Long time after 1780, and to it having been altered afterwards. This Cello was originally built without Corner blocks, a method of construction that was used in bohemia and saxonia etc until roughly 1900. This is visible through the pointy rib Corners, that have the seam in the centre. Together with this goes what is colloquially called a "through neck": a neck construction without an upper block, somewhat like a guitar neck construction. Along with this, there would have been a carved out bass bar, rather than a glued in bass bar. Each part of such an Instrument was made by a different craftsman, which can explain differences in appearance between Body and scroll. The scroll fluting Ends at "6 o'clock" does not go all the way to the bitter end of the throat, also a characteristic of this Region and time Frame. All of These are traits from the Cottage Industry in Northwestern bohemia and south saxonia. most prominently Schoenbach and Markneukirchen. As the rib Corners, model of the Corners, and seam, the scroll and the General appearance all Point to that direction, it is likely that this is a Cello from the second half of the 19th century, that was repaired at a later date, at which Point it received its glued in bass bar, top block and possibly the Corner blocks. So These Details are not original in your Cello.

I own a very similar Cello, in much worse state, with its original neck, but a replaced bass bar. It sounded very good when it was still playable, and I'm tempted to get it restored, but market value is a lot below the cost of restoration, which is why I have not had this done yet. Every time I see something like this, it makes me remember its Sound...

Your Cello can ofcourse function very well as a baroque Cello, and it Looks as if your lutier did a good Job. Sometimes such instruments can Sound surprisingly good. Wispelwey used a Cello from the same Region and time Frame as yours as a modern Cello for much of his recording Career!

12 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Surely this cello is 1880 or later. 1780 can’t be right.

Is there any evidence the neck was replaced? It looks exactly what you would expect to find on a cheaper Schonbach cello from the end of the 19th C.

The graft is clearly visible, though in the fotos not so good, but it can be seen on the scroll side shot. Also, the neck is figured maple, while the scroll is beechwood.