Sign in to follow this  
kessi2

Cello Id please

I'm trying to decide if I should have this cello restored. A deceased friends sister discovered it in her cellar decades ago and he offered it it me shortly before he died. He had asked several local luthiers back in time, but nobody ever recognised what it might be.

I would love to hear your opinions and learn more about this cellos origin:

Does anybody recognize where and when it could have been made? If not, suggestion for experts who might?

Thank you

5F6318EF-1BE3-44A4-B891-4BCC63604BB7.thumb.jpeg.64287a33f5a72ba2213cffeeff16eb4f.jpeg5176EF93-6FD4-4E3D-9C8B-5EBAEEA4496B.thumb.jpeg.ae36783decdcd4f71cc35b000cfe805d.jpeg3DC5B06A-651C-4BB9-BD08-AAFF002E3C15.thumb.jpeg.ee79139653a308d8b0d82fe416b17e50.jpeg9AD7EE91-A08F-4232-A35F-40DD3EB92852.thumb.jpeg.0051e8cf85615734235f531d258a337a.jpeg88EAEEDF-599B-4B7B-A9DE-CFFFE46A160D.thumb.jpeg.b8606a8dcf89072f647dc6b29a80b768.jpeg

FD8F0DBE-9B12-4D80-BBAF-9B92440F467D.jpeg

521A71FF-85FE-405C-A073-00088757D563.jpeg

interesting f-holes and angular notches. Pretty interesting Beech(?) scroll. 

Looks interesting and perhaps worth repairing.

1 hour ago, duane88 said:

interesting f-holes and angular notches. Pretty interesting Beech(?) scroll. 

Looks interesting and perhaps worth repairing.

I noticed that the wood of the scroll seemed to be odd. I couldn’t identify it, but it did not look like maple. Is there any consistent reason why somebody would use such a wood for the scroll, instead of maple? Was it cost, or were the woods used interchangeably back in the day? Or is this a later replacement?

I would like to know what is the status of cracks? I don’t see any right off, but the pictures are less revealing than one would like. Is there anyway you can take a picture of the inside? Because the cello is not set up, you can remove the end pin , Shine a flashlight through the hole,, and get a good look at the inside through the f-holes. That will show the linings, the blocks, And give the experts here a little bit more information.

Thank you very much for your opinions.

I could indeed remove the endpin easily, I tried to take pictures but finally resorted to take some help, here is the best we could do:

751C68FE-063F-49DE-99AE-6DB6DA00C6FF.thumb.jpeg.860069edcf37fbd3846f30f780239e64.jpeg263354BC-B0E9-4B8F-9D46-8DEDCAFD60F0.thumb.jpeg.b4ea4c334dd99708128bf971c72cf0bf.jpeg

On 10/19/2019 at 2:24 AM, PhilipKT said:

I would like to know what is the status of cracks? I don’t see any right off, but the pictures are less revealing than one would like.

so there is this crack parallel to the bass bar, which has been repaired probably quite some time ago. I think it runs down a long way.

All this handling of the Cello has rekindled my interest in it. I always thought of it as a baroque instrument, because it has kind of a archaic vibe.

Does the interior look like Schoenbach late 19th century? If it does, I wonder why not everybody in the past, looking at it, recognised. Maybe the swiss are really that bad? Or are my photos not good enough?

I will go see a luthier tomorrow to discuss a potential restoration.

5 hours ago, kessi2 said:

Does the interior look like Schoenbach late 19th century? If it does, I wonder why not everybody in the past, looking at it, recognised. Maybe the swiss are really that bad? Or are my photos not good enough?

I will go see a luthier tomorrow to discuss a potential restoration.

Yes, completely consistent ...

I'm also surprised it wasn't identified correctly, it has all the classic features, with the added giveaway of a beech neck. But these instruments weren't mass produced, so maybe its undeniable quirkiness proved a bit misleading.

How are the neck dimensions? Anything odd with thickness, length etc? If not, it doesn't look like it needs much work.

2 hours ago, A432 said:

I hope the neck isn't as wobbling off the center line as the back of the peg box looks like it is.

:blink:

Maybe you are confusing hurried and sloppy scroll carving with neck set?

Looking at the fingerboard it seems to be set quite nicely between the two f-holes.

I said nothing about the neck set, Martin.

My comment had to do with the neck being straight.

I.e., not wandering off the centre line, laterally.

"Hurried and sloppy" and "confusion" are your own assumptions.

5 hours ago, A432 said:

"Hurried and sloppy" and "confusion" are your contributions.

NOTE TO SELF : Eschew light-hearted humor. It's misconstrued.

9 hours ago, A432 said:

"Hurried and sloppy" and "confusion" are your own assumptions.

So when would you control the straightness of the neck on the centreline apart from when you're setting the neck?

The centre line of the peg box (back side) wobbles from one side to the other like a drunk.

(Impossible in practice) visualization was the neck doing the same underneath the fingerboard. 

Sorry.

I have now left the cello with my luthier: He will restore it to a baroque cello for me. It is a small model, LOB 730 ca. He believes it to be quite old and in a very good state for its age; he did not get more specific at this point other than that he thinks it a very good project and well suited for baroque setup. The neck has been replaced in the past and is now slightly too long, which he will correct for with a type of "french saddle". He said something about the bass-bar being still original and since the top is in good shape does not need replacement.

I'm very keen to hear it sing (again) and will give an update when i get it back.