Sign in to follow this  
FoxMitchell

Violin ID please?

Hey! It's been a while since I posted anything! I missed you folks!

I got a bit of a horror show violin to work on, and something about it just doesn't feel like the 'usual stuff', so I was hoping if it has identifiable features that our resident experts could chime in about the origins of this one...

It has a beautiful one-piece back, blocks and linings (the linings are let-into the blocks), a neck graft, and some of the most horrible repairs I've seen so far!

(and mysterious glue holding the top)

20191018_023353.jpg

20191018_023326.jpg

20191018_023317.jpg

20191018_023257.jpg

20191018_023248.jpg

20191018_023238.jpg

20191018_023223.jpg

20191018_023148.jpg

20191018_023125.jpg

Two points for Mittenwald

• almost half circular top and bottom blocks

• pointed C linings inserted into the corner blocks

And maybe there is a nick on the bottom rib to mark the center line?

The scroll doesn't look like Markneukirchen, however the darker varnish makes me wonder if it belonged originally to the body.

2 hours ago, germain said:

Hans Nebel always said "NEVER OPEN THE BACK..."

One can add:"...without taking especially care of the button". But possibly it was broken off before, the missing chip of edge indicates this.

3 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

The scroll doesn't look like Markneukirchen, however the darker varnish makes me wonder if it belonged originally to the body.

Like Wood Butcher wrote, the body looks revarnished (with a spray gun?), what explains the different colour.

17 hours ago, germain said:

Hans Nebel always said "NEVER OPEN THE BACK..."

...I guess they never fix broken buttons and other back issues?  ;)

The back was 70% unglued, the button was broken and poorly repaired and broke again, the top is glued with mysterious non-hide glue, and there's a small crack. The back was the place to start.

17 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

[...]

Yeah I thought that too.

14 hours ago, Blank face said:

[...]

Like Wood Butcher wrote, the body looks revarnished (with a spray gun?), what explains the different colour.

I don't know if the varnish was completely re-done, but it surely got a 'fresh coat' of something on the body that the scroll didn't get.

52 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

don't know if the varnish was completely re-done, but it surely got a 'fresh coat' of something on the body that the scroll didn't get.

It certainly has been redone on the body. All of the varnish runs inside through the soundholes, varnish penetrating through open cracks, the burned flames... all the signs are there.

The varnish on the scroll will be what the body was originally like.

4 minutes ago, Dave Slight said:

It certainly has been redone on the body. All of the runs inside through the soundholes, varnish penetrating through open cracks.... all the signs are there.

The varnish on the scroll will be what the body was originally like.

Good point!

The more I look at it the more I think this is a job one should walk away from.

It would be restorable if one had enough time left, but would end up as a revarnished Verleger violin of a rather low commercial value. So better to put it into the spare part box in case you'll ever need a Mittenwald scroll or rib blanks etc.