Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

New York October 2019 Tarisio Auction

There are a couple of nice viola bows.  As far as violas go I need to do a lot of homework on 20th century Italian Makers.  Just when I think I know a couple of them a whole raft of guys com around to remind me I don't know squat.  I wish there as a simple grading scale for them :-)  (Just kidding)

DLB

I knew someone who had a Pallaver that I thought was quite nice. If either of these two is like that then it would be a nice deal if it stayed within the estimate. They look nice and are a good size.

But of course you never know what any given instrument might sound like.

Is there an optimum size for Viola’s? Alone among the string instruments, the viola seems to be pretty much any size someone wants, but I’ve heard that just under 17 is desirable, and just over 16 is desirable, and anything in between is desirable.

Paul Silverthorne plays a monstrous Brothers Amati that is 17 3/4 inch.

I’ve seen smaller Volkswagens…

30 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Is there an optimum size for Viola’s? Alone among the string instruments, the viola seems to be pretty much any size someone wants, but I’ve heard that just under 17 is desirable, and just over 16 is desirable, and anything in between is desirable.

The design of the instrument matters too.  a 17" Brescian design viola is easier to manage than some others.  I think 16" or there about is a good size but it all depends on the player.  The trick is not getting hurt in the process. Some men play rather small violas and some women rather large violas.  As far as making violas for sale between 16 and 16.5" would be a good range.  Others may stronly disagree.

DLB

3 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

They say the bigger, the better, size matters, etc... limited by playability. Lots of small-hand-short-arm players struggle to find a 15" viola that has a 'proper viola sound' (even though they exist).

Most popular practical size seems to be 16". Professionals tend to like to stretch a bit more if they play something that is heard.

I'll be going there to play most of the violins (no violas please haha) Let me know if any of you have an interest in any particular instrument and I'll be glad to give you my humble opinion... 

12 hours ago, germain said:

I'll be going there to play most of the violins (no violas please haha) Let me know if any of you have an interest in any particular instrument and I'll be glad to give you my humble opinion... 

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199060480&cpid=2292006912&filter_key=

It's a viola, but if you have time......

DLB

There seems to be a lot more lots in this latest Tarisio NY auction that went unsold compared with ones earlier this year or last year.  Can ones with more auction experience under their belt explain why?  I just started look at them last year.  Is it the general economy or more about the selection of auction items or high price estimates etc?

11 hours ago, George Franklin said:

There seems to be a lot more lots in this latest Tarisio NY auction that went unsold compared with ones earlier this year or last year.  Can ones with more auction experience under their belt explain why?  I just started look at them last year.  Is it the general economy or more about the selection of auction items or high price estimates etc?

I don’t know the cause. But if the 90 violins in the Nov auction that ended today, 41 were unsold the first day. Then of those 41 unsold lots, only 21 of them sold today in the second listing. 

The sold lots are actually slightly up on the same auction last year .  oct 2016   81.8% ,   Nov 2017   93.3% ,   Nov 2018   84..6 %,   Nov 2019   85.6 %

The last two T2 auctions for comparison  have been 100% and  99.6% .