Sign in to follow this  
jacklinks

Boring question... but about bow cases...

What is a good 2 or 3 bow case to buy (just bows, no violin)? Lots of discussions on here and the other site re: violin cases, but I haven’t seen much discussion on just bow cases. 

Also, what is generally the best shell material? Is wood generally preferred for protection more than fiberglass/carbon fiber (like with instrument cases)? Or is fiberglass preferred since it is a more elongated shape? 

Bobelock seems to have inexpensive bow cases like they do with instrument cases. But are there better options out there?  Thanks.

It would be informative to know when and how the bow case is intended to use.

For travel purpose I would suggest a strong case eventually with an shoulder strap. Up to three bows is still handy enough. But this depends on how many bows you want to carry with you. 

I do not think the problem is the material the case is made of, but rather how the bow fits inside.  Most bow cases are useless if the case is dropped on the head side.  The bows will slide in the case and slam into the inside end and take the head right off.  There are some easy ways to modify existing cases to make them safe depending on what you buy.  Bow cases should NEVER be used to ship without taking these things into account.

8 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

I do not think the problem is the material the case is made of, but rather how the bow fits inside.  Most bow cases are useless if the case is dropped on the head side.  The bows will slide in the case and slam into the inside end and take the head right off.  There are some easy ways to modify existing cases to make them safe depending on what you buy.  Bow cases should NEVER be used to ship without taking these things into account.

Jerry, the Pedi double bow tube is lethal just in normal everyday operation - as you unzip the lid and open it, it catches on the head of the bow.

I would never think of using it for shipping.

13 hours ago, martin swan said:

Jerry, the Pedi double bow tube is lethal just in normal everyday operation - as you unzip the lid and open it, it catches on the head of the bow.

I would never think of using it for shipping.

I agree, it looks pretty lethal.  Of course you would never use it for shipping, but I am pretty often amazed at how some bows are shipped.

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

These tubes are lethal - unless you are very careful the top of the case can catch on the head of the bow and snap it clean off.

Martin are you talking about when unzipping and opening the case?  I've only used the 12-bow version with cello bows on trial, and since the shorter bows fit entirely in the long tube I didn't see that danger.  Edit: I also remember those bows arriving head-down, with the buttons at the zipper end of the case.

I hear you Jerry, a very well known shop in NY sent us some rather nice bows (Cody Kowalski and something similar) on trial in a triangular Fedex box, wrapped only in a little bit of bubble wrap, pretty amazing.

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

These tubes are lethal - unless you are very careful the top of the case can catch on the head of the bow and snap it clean off.

Thank you, Martin. I was actually considering getting one of those.

19 minutes ago, StanY said:

Martin are you talking about when unzipping and opening the case?  I've only used the 12-bow version with cello bows on trial, and since the shorter bows fit entirely in the long tube I didn't see that danger.  Edit: I also remember those bows arriving head-down, with the buttons at the zipper end of the case.

Yes - I think they may be fine for a bow with a total length of under 74cm, but anything more and it's a danger. 

I would definitely not store a bow head down in a tube with a carrying strap ....!

8 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

It would be informative to know when and how the bow case is intended to use.

For travel purpose I would suggest a strong case eventually with an shoulder strap. Up to three bows is still handy enough. But this depends on how many bows you want to carry with you. 

Price to strength ratio is the Bobelock Fiberglas. The cons are that they are very heavy and the top and bottom may not seal so well, so will not protect from moisture or bugs. Color availability is sometimes an issue. I do like the colors as i can pre-sort bows in catagories. The pink and purple colored boxes are awesome, though i use  dark blue with color coded racing stripes for more serious occasions.

For the fewer number of bows, the thin plywood boxes do not have much integrity. As a test, i have broken a few in half with my hands.

I am at the point were i have thought about purchasing several wine racks and use either ABS ( more environmentally correct but fewer fittings ) or PVC plastic pipes - the higher rating PSI / thicker wall tube - to make cases. I use these send most of my cases. It is also possible to use threaded caps. I do drill a small hole in the side to allow some air to flow back and forth and apply a piece of Gortex fabric over or under the hole, depending on the construction, as a barrier.

During travel, use an all-purpose camping nylon belt or webbing as straps. Generally easy to pass through TSA. Bobelock Fiberglas case ( 3 bow or multiple singles ) into a large diameter ABS tube and traveled that way. No worries or open buckles or buckles catching on stuff. Most think i am travelling with drawings.

In the old days travelling with a nice leather billiards stick case was a stealth way to carry higher value bows.