Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeH

Angled Violin-Hanging Shelf Plans?

Does anybody have the plans or diagram for this kind of angled violin-hanging shelf that they would be willing to share?

I am interested in building one for a cabinet that is  7-1/4" deep and 34-1/2" wide.

DSCN0114.JPG

I don't think you really need a plan for that, just work out how many violins you can fit in the given space, without them touching each other or the sides of the cabinet, then cut some slots.

I agree with Dave re. The slots. When making a violin cabinet for a violin shop, I think it important to plan for some glass doors, otherwise you will spend all you time showing people dusty violins

6 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

When making a violin cabinet for a violin shop, I think it important to plan for some glass doors, otherwise you will spend all you time showing people dusty violins

These are not for a shop - just a home cabinet with doors. 

47 minutes ago, Dave Slight said:

I don't think you really need a plan for that, just work out how many violins you can fit in the given space, without them touching each other or the sides of the cabinet, then cut some slots.

You're right, of course, but I am hoping that somebody might have those measurements and angles figured out and written down. :)

10 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

These are not for a shop - just a home cabinet with doors. 

You're right, of course, but I am hoping that somebody might have those measurements and angles figured out and written down. :)

The spacing and angles are variable. What worked for someone else might not work for your given cabinet size.

The angles are really up to you but 45 degrees makes the most sense/

The only thing you need to bear in mind is that at the left of the shelf you need to leave space to slot the instrument in ... 

Distance between slot centres should be 150mm or greater.

back of slot to back wall (clearance) should be 120mm for violins (assuming 45 degrees)

Slots should be 25mm wide.

I would use a 25mm hole saw - and I don't recommend trying to do this in oak unless you've got a lot of stamina and a glass of water to cool the holesaw down :lol: