Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Krieger

How To Remove Bow Screw From The Button

I have found 2 particular issues that are problematic with the above method(s), but I do use a piece of Aluminum with a hole drilled in it to remove most buttons.

1-I have run into a number of French bows that had the button pinned AFTER the screw was placed. This resulted in the pins being puilled through the inside as the screw was removed. It it doesn't want to come out, consider this. 

2-Some German and English(Think Hill extruded solid buttons) are reverse threaded into the button.

Heat. Don't forget to consider heat when removing the button. I place the tip of the soldering iron on the screw until it is thoroughly heated, and believe that this helps, especially in situations where someone has glued the screw in. If the button is from a cheaper bow, please make sure that you are dealing with Bakelite or wood and not plastic before you can smell it melting.

11 hours ago, duane88 said:

I have found 2 particular issues that are problematic with the above method(s)...

Here's a third:  The ends of some screws were peined over after being inserted into their buttons.  Just pulling them out, which is what I have done, gouges out the hole through the button irregularly.  The Stagg book recommends removing the pearl eye (often unavoidably damaging it) and milling away the peining before pulling the screw out.

I like the pop rivet tool idea.  I'll have to try that.