Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

M.C. Escher contribution to Violin-making

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

A friend found it in her violin dealer father’s effects.

i can’t imagine it being effective.

Sure it is, for provoking mirth.  :lol:

Here's a mention for Bonn's patent four footed bridge in an 1894 issue of The Strad, and with an endorsement by no less than Pablo Sarasate. (!)

https://books.google.com/books?id=sJY5AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA173&lpg=PA173&dq=bonm+double+bass+bridge+patent&source=bl&ots=QfX__F5nZQ&sig=ACfU3U008ypFfglDX424yUgdYT1xtrPxZw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjmo_OkpvlAhXFvJ4KHR7yDqMQ6AEwCnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=bonm double bass bridge patent&f=false

If you search for "Bonn's patent violin bridge," several more pages come up.

7 hours ago, MarkBouquet said:

Lol. So Sarasate endorsed the cello bridge? 

I read somewhere that Pablo de Sarasate and Harold Bauer would do a lot of pranks when they were touring the concert halls of Europe. So maybe for him thus was just another one?

I can tell from mandolins that two-foot bridges andsingle foot bridges do not sound differently (at least not to me, the cutout between legs is small but it makes the base much more flexible being relatively thin and very low compared to vioin) but the main difference why I switched entirely to single-foot is support of the arch. Two footers will dig into arch over years and deform arch while single-footer will help the arch keep healthy shape.

Perhaps on violins teh design with more than two feet would be ineffective because of the soundpost or relative stiffness of high bridge but on cellos or basses it could help stabilise top arch in some cases without need of fancy repairs and without noticeable loss in tone (or perhaps even gain?). Hard to judge just from looking.

Bonn's Patent Bridges were made by J.Edwin Bonn at Brading in the Isle of Wight. I see them  advertised in The Strad as late as 1909 alongside fierce transatlantic competition from The New American Chemical Bridge - "not made of wood". A few pages on we find Drummond's Patent Double Violin Bridge providing "increase of Vibration, and greater Resonance. Will add Age and rich Mellow Tone to new or any Instrument".