Sign in to follow this  
Okawbow

Cello bow, what can you tell me about it?

Any idea of age, quality, value? What kind of wrap should it have? It is stamped, “Germany” on the stick. No other markings. The stick is straight and plays very well.

Thanks

16BB7467-2D8D-4D8E-BA7B-C9E0A21D9AEA.jpeg

EAF8EC24-C607-4342-8E19-67552E2D0919.jpeg

020748AE-E797-4A3B-9254-C12E91405705.jpeg

AE390521-5BB5-451A-AA6F-8AB58002DDBA.jpeg

6DFF463F-2B7C-4147-A5BE-129DD5F2E6F6.jpeg

93323229-10A5-498B-95F0-2D0BDA282440.jpeg

If it were my bow, find the balance and determine where you want to go with it. The wrap adds mass. If the playability is good, then if you were able to get a neutral balance most players would produce a better tone. Not necessarily a sensitive bow. If you'd like it to play with more "feel" then i would propose silk. This would increase the value of the bow or at least its value.

Early 20th century... this style finish often masked many fine sticks. Workmanship and condition looks to be average, defined in my mind as being selling price as local market price. Used by an adult? or for only a short time by a young adult. My guess is the second. It's had several drops. The pins were not meant to be hidden but both have a little style..

Sorry to be the first to reply. There are experts here. They will ask for photos of the underslide and the exposed stick.

I’m curious about the shape of the frog. When held completely horizontally, is the heel of the frog lower than the ferrule?

If so I can’t remember seeing that before, or noticing it, but it looks a little bit out of balance. The head doesn’t look terribly graceful.

17 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I’m curious about the shape of the frog. When held completely horizontally, is the heel of the frog lower than the ferrule?

If so I can’t remember seeing that before, or noticing it, but it looks a little bit out of balance. The head doesn’t look terribly graceful.

I think it’s just an optical illusion that the frog looks odd. It measures the same at the heel as it does at the ferrule. 

As for the grace fullness of the head; it was made in Germany after all. Function before style. 

Still wondering where it might have been made, in Germany, and by whom? It seems good quality and looks like silver mounts.

IMHO, an "anonymous" Seifert shop bow, that the distributor/wholesaler never got around to putting their own name on.  The original wrap was probably black and white whalebone.  Medium quality.  Does it weigh about 70 grams?  :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, an "anonymous" Seifert shop bow, that the distributor/wholesaler never got around to putting their own name on.  The original wrap was probably black and white whalebone.  Medium quality.  Does it weigh about 70 grams?  :)

Thanks, 

It does weight right at 74 grams. On closer look, it did have a stamp on the stick above the frog. I can’t make out a name, as the varnish has been scraped off or has flaked off because it was damaged when it was stamped. The name might be “ALDEN**”

15 hours ago, Okawbow said:

Thanks, 

It does weight right at 74 grams. On closer look, it did have a stamp on the stick above the frog. I can’t make out a name, as the varnish has been scraped off or has flaked off because it was damaged when it was stamped. The name might be “ALDEN**”

“Mittenwald”

I don’t remember seeing such a stamp on bow sticks, but it’s probably possible. If VdA’s Surmise is accurate, and I have learned to trust her, then do you have a very worthwhile stick. I look for bows of that level for my students, because they are excellent student bows.

The first three letters are ALD and the last two look like stars, but it’s all really hard to see. The stamp was nice and straight, and all the parts and workmanship on the bow seems good quality. I’m happy with it, but don’t play well enough to make good use of it. I traded a violin neck reset and rib repair job for it, as I needed a bow for the cello I was making. 

I expected more people to reply but what appears to be a brazilwood bow is not that interesting to some. 

The bow has some interesting qualities. The line of the Chamfer is nicely brought into the stick, but perhaps the overall quality of the workmanship is generic. If those are two stars, though, then the stick is likely Pernambuco? if that is the name of an individual. Before your last post, i would have offered that the DEN might have been the end of DRESDEN.

A friend has my Geigenbogen book so can not scan through it for a match. There is something on the stick where the wrap used to be. Would that be a lead? Good Luck.

I think you should be concerned about a bow that has assembly marks on the stick and not on the frog. To my eyes it appears that the frog doesn't fit the stick at all (photo 6).

The stick looks like an average MK bow. I would not be sure it's brazilwood, there's a lot of pernambuco that looks like this. The mounts look rather better - they are post 1935, perhaps not by much.

1 hour ago, GoPractice said:

I expected more people to reply but what appears to be a brazilwood bow is not that interesting to some. 

Maybe you're right^_^, but it was more or less clearly answered what it might be before, a sort of cheaper quality Markneukirchen bow from the first half of the 20th century.

Zooming in the photos it appears to be more likely Brasilwood/Bois d'abeille with the typical short thin bright "flecks". Maybe the frog belongs, maybe not; I can see the gap at the rear side between stick and slide, but this could also be due to careless work, and sometimes it can be hard to find assembly marks at the metal slide on over-exposured photos - but this won't make a big difference, value isn't very high the one or the other way. Same applies to names branded on the stick, whatever shop or dealer might have done this.

Dropping deliberately a name like Seiffert or any other shop or dealer on it seems to be futile IMO, it could have been made in any workshop and sold by any wholesaler of this region.

What kind of wrapping to use now might depend of the weight and balance, a metal wire gives more weight and brings the balance point more close to the frog than a thread or plastic winding.