Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Cello bow not English. French/German?

My guess is German, because the three-piece button is not pinned, the heel plate on the frog is one piece and also not pinned, at least that I could see, and the illegible stamp appears to be “Vuilluame” But the lettering is angled about 45° off the vertical, which I don’t think was correct. The tip of the faceplate Is broken off. One of the photographs appears to show a mortise crack but there is no crack.

What do you folks think, bitte?

If a particular characteristic Screams German or French, please let me know. The hair on this bow is older than I am, so it’s not really playable, but it feels good.

ECF64E53-48DA-43EA-AF5C-5FB5AC21D347.jpeg

ACBB2D79-CE45-48CE-A059-BBDBA794BEC2.jpeg

F60047D2-2736-4AF1-8891-71E755CEE394.jpeg

0E780012-4AF8-4E7D-911D-F6C38EBE7D6E.jpeg

CEF62F83-0C12-4B05-B3B0-2B7164C8023E.jpeg

DB325E40-7D7B-4539-883D-0BCB25DF088F.jpeg

61D9DFAB-79AF-4C0F-9FE9-86344754FAF5.jpeg

F076A1F2-431C-462A-942D-81EEFD800CC3.jpeg

AF11BD0F-1BA4-4ACD-B03B-5248BE0D7ACB.jpeg

64335490-F092-4563-A646-BAC516F3BDDB.jpeg

39F784E0-4A39-43C7-9EED-21968E40B115.jpeg

3E5F428E-2F2F-442F-99B3-3FE627B79DF9.jpeg

82F48B88-44EE-48B2-9C53-4B57FBC09628.jpeg

Despite the ancient hair on this bow(which is so old that the very act  of adding rosin made several hairs break) I played it for quite a bit this afternoon and it’s really a very nice bow. It bounces, it’s controllable, it feels good, and draws a really nice sound. Can’t wait to hear how it sounds with hair that is younger than the Nixon administration.

22 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

(Cough cough)

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

Not by Beuhler:unsure:. Looks like Markneukirchen made, possibly 1920s or 30s. The faceplate, eyelet, frog and pearlslide need some attention IMO.

31 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Not by Beuhler:unsure:. Looks like Markneukirchen made, possibly 1920s or 30s. The faceplate, eyelet, frog and pearlslide need some attention IMO.

I had a nice reply all written in German, and then my iPhone froze, and when I returned everything was gone, so English it is!

Yes I agree with you about all the  work that needs to be done, I’m disappointed about the faceplate, because it is the original ivory and is about to be replaced with bone. Can you explain to me why it looks German? It looks German to me too but I can’t say anything concrete except it just looks very robust and perhaps a little bit hefty everywhere. But that means nothing. 

I compared it with my own French bows, and tried to find differences that could apply to the school rather than the individual maker, and had no luck.

Thank you very much for your kind information.

There's the adjuster without pins and the somehow exeggerated rounded lower edges of the frog and ferrule pointing to a German maker, but it's a well made copy. Some Mirecourt bows can be robust and hefty, too. Reminds me a bit of Otto Hoyer, but it's probably by a different maker.

On 10/14/2019 at 6:45 PM, Blank face said:

There's the adjuster without pins and the somehow exeggerated rounded lower edges of the frog and ferrule pointing to a German maker, but it's a well made copy. Some Mirecourt bows can be robust and hefty, too. Reminds me a bit of Otto Hoyer, but it's probably by a different maker.

You win! I took the bow to the VSA convention this morning and Showed it to Phillip Kass and Bruce Babbit, Who just happened to be talking to each other, so I was delighted to have the chance to meet them both. I asked Philip if he would be so kind as to take a minute to look it over, and he and Bruce both did so. He mentioned The unpinned button and unpinned heel plate. I think he also said he recognized the stamp “ Vuilluame” In italics as a German factory stamp. They both said it look like a well-made bow from the period you suggested, but they couldn’t share any other information.

Thank you very much for your kind reply, and congratulations for being correct!