xraymymind

Size of Classic Cremonese Labels

Recommended Posts

Hi Folks,

I am about to get some labels made for my instruments. I am basing the style on the classic Cremonese labels of Strad, Amati, et al.

However, one thing I cannot seem to find anywhere is any sort of measurements for any of these original labels. Does anybody know what size the labels were in any of the classic makers' instruments?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

In a CT scan of a Strad violin, the label (thought to be original) is ~ 14mm x 78mm.  Will you use laid paper as well?

Thank you! Yes, I hope to use high quality, acid free laid paper.

Does anybody else have any other sources of sizes of original labels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's paper that shows the imprint of the sieve used to strain water out of the pulp. The pattern is usually sort of a faint corrugated texture. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, xraymymind said:

Hi Folks,

I am about to get some labels made for my instruments. I am basing the style on the classic Cremonese labels of Strad, Amati, et al.

However, one thing I cannot seem to find anywhere is any sort of measurements for any of these original labels. Does anybody know what size the labels were in any of the classic makers' instruments?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

FWIW, the Stradivari labels "reproduced" in the Hills book measure roughly 22mmx12mm.  But the dimensions in the book are not quite uniform.  In their volume on the Guarneri family, many of the labels look large by comparison, but that doesn't mean the reproductions are not to scale.  In a previous thread, Bruce Carlson indicated that Stradivari's labels did not vary by instrument size.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

FWIW, the Stradivari labels "reproduced" in the Hills book measure roughly 22mmx12mm.  But the dimensions in the book are not quite uniform.  In their volume on the Guarneri family, many of the labels look large by comparison, but that doesn't mean the reproductions are not to scale.  In a previous thread, Bruce Carlson indicated that Stradivari's labels did not vary by instrument size.  

22mm x 12mm? surely too small?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Right you are.  55mmx12mm.  Don't know how 22 got in my head on the short walk from the bookcase to the laptop...

You need to keep off that spirit varnish mate, it's proper dodgy:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Muswell said:

You need to keep off that spirit varnish mate, it's proper dodgy:rolleyes:

Ha!  I do use Everclear rather than denatured alcohol, but make a point of not drinking it.  At least not since college.  B)

 

15 hours ago, Muswell said:

You need to keep off that spirit varnish mate, it's proper dodgy:rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.