xraymymind

Size of Classic Cremonese Labels

Hi Folks,

I am about to get some labels made for my instruments. I am basing the style on the classic Cremonese labels of Strad, Amati, et al.

However, one thing I cannot seem to find anywhere is any sort of measurements for any of these original labels. Does anybody know what size the labels were in any of the classic makers' instruments?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

In a CT scan of a Strad violin, the label (thought to be original) is ~ 14mm x 78mm.  Will you use laid paper as well?

Thank you! Yes, I hope to use high quality, acid free laid paper.

Does anybody else have any other sources of sizes of original labels?

It's paper that shows the imprint of the sieve used to strain water out of the pulp. The pattern is usually sort of a faint corrugated texture. 

On 10/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, xraymymind said:

Hi Folks,

I am about to get some labels made for my instruments. I am basing the style on the classic Cremonese labels of Strad, Amati, et al.

However, one thing I cannot seem to find anywhere is any sort of measurements for any of these original labels. Does anybody know what size the labels were in any of the classic makers' instruments?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

FWIW, the Stradivari labels "reproduced" in the Hills book measure roughly 22mmx12mm.  But the dimensions in the book are not quite uniform.  In their volume on the Guarneri family, many of the labels look large by comparison, but that doesn't mean the reproductions are not to scale.  In a previous thread, Bruce Carlson indicated that Stradivari's labels did not vary by instrument size.  

18 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

FWIW, the Stradivari labels "reproduced" in the Hills book measure roughly 22mmx12mm.  But the dimensions in the book are not quite uniform.  In their volume on the Guarneri family, many of the labels look large by comparison, but that doesn't mean the reproductions are not to scale.  In a previous thread, Bruce Carlson indicated that Stradivari's labels did not vary by instrument size.  

22mm x 12mm? surely too small?

5 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Right you are.  55mmx12mm.  Don't know how 22 got in my head on the short walk from the bookcase to the laptop...

You need to keep off that spirit varnish mate, it's proper dodgy:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Muswell said:

Ha!  I do use Everclear rather than denatured alcohol, but make a point of not drinking it.  At least not since college.  B)

15 hours ago, Muswell said: