Brad Dorsey

Has anyone heard of this Massachusetts maker -- N Paige?

Has anyone heard of the Massachusetts maker N Paige, who worked in Springfield and elsewhere?

P1090357.thumb.JPG.9ef7bef745a50f6e1349702b2adc6e57.JPG

P1090356.thumb.JPG.8f00336ca7ba3fc63898956680de4712.JPG

The violin is obviously American made, not great but not terribly crude either.  It's undated, but appears to be mid 19th Century.  Paige is not listed in Wenberg.  

22 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Has anyone heard of the Massachusetts maker N Paige, who worked in Springfield and elsewhere?

P1090357.thumb.JPG.9ef7bef745a50f6e1349702b2adc6e57.JPG

P1090356.thumb.JPG.8f00336ca7ba3fc63898956680de4712.JPG

The violin is obviously American made, not great but not terribly crude either.  It's undated, but appears to be mid 19th Century.  Paige is not listed in Wenberg.  

If it is not listed in Wenberg you need to ask Bromberg.

Deal is an antiquated term for softwood lumber I believe. According to professor google it originated from the Middle Low German dele plank.  Professor G also says that red deal refers to Scots pine. I'm not sure I'd take that as gospel, though.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

What is “Red Deal”?

I am assuming that is a local term for Spruce, but I’ve never heard of it.

Scots pine is usually red deal, with spruce being white deal.

41 minutes ago, Dave Slight said:

Scots pine is usually red deal, with spruce being white deal.

So “deal” can actually refer to two different species? And I’m assuming they are both available and New England right? Unless this was an imported box that Mr. Paige fixed up?

Regarding wood sources, there is a charming story that I assume is true that William Conant got a lot of his wood by pillaging it from covered bridges in the area.

4 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Are there a lot of towns called "Springfield" in America? and which one does Homer Simpson live in? (asking for a freind:rolleyes:)

I think officially Springfield Ohio was determined to be the real Home of the Simpsons.

The term deal was originally applied to boards of standard thicknesses, widths and lengths. It was an amount of wood, not a type.

Later it became a term used for common softwoods, probably because these were the woods most used in building etc, and the type most people would be familiar with.