Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Atria

Could it possibly be real? Ettore Siega

So I came across this Violin and it is definitely old and has some pretty serious top cracks. The label is of Ettore Siega & Figli / Premiati Liutai Venezia / Anno 1914 or 1924 (I cannot tell if it is a 2 or 1). It has no other marking inside or outside that it could be from this maker. I have some pictures but this is all I have until I return home.

I guess my question is...Even if it is of this maker with these top cracks would it be worth repairing and getting it appraised?

Let me know what you think.

Thank you.

23946.thumb.jpeg.d475a50281f94723ceafe43c2c523733.jpeg23950.thumb.jpeg.f4a367317d2b6ca82daf0b1e0fafe2b6.jpeg23947.thumb.jpeg.b48a8057dc79d7c7a2ba7d566cad0388.jpeg23948.thumb.jpeg.b68398b5631469783f8f51ce314d518e.jpeg20191006_205826.thumb.jpg.c60f103194e71b322eacd00380ee9fe1.jpg

Edited by Mathew Atria

I am very interested in what the crowd says, I have my own thoughts, but I’m not going to embarrass myself by verbalizing them. Although a bass bar crack is a big big deal.

Question for the crowd: if you have a bass bar crack, you have to remove the bass bar, cleat the crack, and then put on a new bass bar. Do you inlet the base bar to make room for the cleats? Or do you compensate some other way? 

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Question for the crowd: if you have a bass bar crack, you have to remove the bass bar, cleat the crack, and then put on a new bass bar. Do you inlet the base bar to make room for the cleats? Or do you compensate some other way? 

I demonstrated that (Pictures 14 to 18) here 

in the OP case, it wouldn't be worth saving the old bar.

I am in no way competent with modern italians, but, except for the label, it looks a bit like a Saxon box

I'm not competent in modern Italians either, but that ain't a Siega ...

If it was one it would definitely be worth doing a proper job. As it is, I rather agree with Jacob that it's an MK/Schhhhhh, and personally I wouldn't take it on.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:58 PM, martin swan said:

I'm not competent in modern Italians either, but that ain't a Siega ...

I'm not sure how to respond to this...You say your not competent but you said it isn't a Siega. How would you know then?

Edited by Mathew Atria

I just recently put up an ebay listing for this violin after I did pretty major repairs and set it up. So far after 12 hours I have almost 100 views, 8 watchers and 1 bid for $400. There is still 6 days left on the auction. Should I take it down and get it appraised? Seems there is a lot of interest in it very quickly. Any thoughts?