Sign in to follow this  
zdalton13

Crack Repair

While sawing out a top plate, the blade broke and created a split one one of the corners. I was thinking of using titebond to repair it, but I am concerned it would leave an ugly stain and I think the crack is too small to get hide glue into it. Any thoughts?20191005_195639.thumb.jpg.7f0d05e7769a4210ca348f85097357c3.jpg

Hide glue. Everything else will show in the end. At this stage in the process, if you think that it needs something stronger than hide glue you should toss it and start over.

15 hours ago, zdalton13 said:

...I was thinking of using titebond...I think the crack is too small to get hide glue into it...

You're wrong.  Hide glue will go in much better that Titebond.  Brush a little hide glue on the surface of the crack then flex the crack open and closed repeatedly while continuing to brush the glue on the surface.  Every time you flex the crack open, the glue will be drawn in by suction.

You could crack a piece of scrap wood to practice on first.  Warming the wood will prevent the glue from gelling as fast and thus improve penetration.

21 hours ago, zdalton13 said:

I think the crack is too small to get hide glue into it. Any thoughts?

I'm you get the point by now, but based on this comment, I'm thinking you might have your glue too thick.  In proper dilution for crack work (and almost all other hide glue use) it should be considerably runnier than titebond.

Use HHG and heat the wood slightly (under lightbulb), that will prevent the HHG to gel shortly after it enters the crack. load the wood from one side and rub/ massage / flex the crack till it shows on the other end. Or you can use the "pressure syringe" to get it in there.

Thanks for the replies I've been away from the internet for a while. I was worried about thinning the glue too much but after reading all these suggesting I will do as everyone suggested.