Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Bratton

Varnish Repair

I have a violin with damage were the bridge is located. It suffered from improper storage and has scratches from the old bridge and tail piece. Can this be repaired?IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.e72b23d50c03a532a879a7b0c23b5887.JPG

Edited by Marcus Bratton

7 hours ago, Marcus Bratton said:

I have a violin with damage were the bridge is located. It suffered from improper storage and has scratches from the old bridge and tail piece. Can this be repaired?IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.e72b23d50c03a532a879a7b0c23b5887.JPG

This is common wear on an older instrument. I would highly suggest leaving it alone, if you need a "clean" new looking varnish,buy a cheap violin outfit.

The appearance may be improved by what is called a ''french polish" ie/ shellac and oil" yet there are some who may think that would be a bad idea, depending.

I'd echo the sentiment that you should shrug it off as "antiquing", but it is well within the talent of a skilled restorer to make things like that disappear. However that skill comes at a cost, and if the instrument is not valuable it may not be worth the investment, ultimately. 

The usual approach to those kind of knocks and scratches is to minimize the contrast in color by touching any really white wood with a little color of the lightest shade to be found on the instrument. Then leave them alone. If there were only one nick on an otherwise pristine and yet unsold new instrument then I might try to hide it.

Thank you for the feedback. I do not have a repair shop near me to ask about it. Its a shame considering the condition of the rest of the finish but that's how it goes. Thanks again for the information.