Sign in to follow this  
Rue

Ignacio Fleta violin signed by Heifetz

1 minute ago, violinnewb said:

Bahahaha! It was passed down from my nana.  It is from the 1800s I believe.  The pipe was probably corn cob. :D

Can you post some pics of the chair please? And zoom in on the wear on the arm?

2 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

I figured you probably did, but I thought I would get out the "verifiable facts" you mentioned as maybe others would take the hint...The book is only $4.99.

I will leave subjects such as wood qualities to the experts.  Much respect to all you awesome luthiers!  I learn so much from this site. 

BTW-here is another question, since it seems as though I do not have enough work and have had too much coffee...

Generally, whose opinion would you trust more in an internet setting?  A transparent and notable luthier or someone who remains anonymous? 

2 hours ago, A432 said:

JD calls the thumb groove "wear."  This seems unlikely. Very much so.

But you haven't made, seen, maintained, restored, or carefully examined nearly as many fine instruments as John Dilworth has, have you! :P

Isn't it fascinating and highly revealing that you were the one who first brought Dilworth's opinions into this thread, in the belief that they would support your opinions, but now that you are starting to realize that they do not, your are disagreeing with him?

I think the problem with fora such as this one, is that if some flat earth nutter refuses to stop arguing, even after everyone else has told him, and explained why, he is an ignorant prick, he will erroneously have the impression he has won an (any) argument, as soon as everyone else has given up on him as a lost cause

There is a wonderful sense of certainty -- of absolute personal conviction -- that comes from ignoring evidence incongruous with one's beliefs. We've certainly been treated to an abundance of it here.

In isolation, the edge could be attributed to playing wear. But only by ignoring that

1) It had hardly been played at all previously to his acquiring it in 1802.

2) That his practice-driven mastery of the violin had been accomplished well before this, in his youth. So whatever fiddle(s) he may or may not have put serious wear on, it wasn't the Cannone.

3) That once he had it, he hardly ever "practiced" at all -- a fact noted with amazement by many people familiar with him -- many of whom, like Ernst, were following him from city to city and renting hotel rooms next to him in hopes of learning his "secret" by listening him practicing.

4) That he sometimes went months at a time without playing it at all -- especially after an exhausting tour and when serious medical problems left him incapacitated, but also earlier in time, when he found gambling and romancing Contessas much more entertaining.

5) That from the point he willed it to the city of Genoa on, it went essentially unplayed by anyone.

Given the foregoing, attributing the missing back plate edge to "wear" caused by playing it, merely because that's what it looks like, is absurd. Other than while performing, he hardly played it at all

Similarly, attributing it to a bulging rib, merely because that's what it looks like it could be is another absurdity, given that the > 2 mm edge loss is measurable in relation to the purfling.

In light of the above, in its totality, attributing the groove in the heel -- another important detail -- to wear caused by playing (yet again, apparently because that's what it looks like it could have been) is not one that has been well thought through. Rather, like the "edge wear' and "bulging rib" explanations, it is an assumption that doesn't hold up. It wasn't played enough for it to have happened that way.

Sherlock Holmes : "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Factor in Marfan Syndrome (preceding post), which agrees 100 % with both his documented  hand position and the "wear" at issue, and it is self-evident that this must have been deliberate modification. Not conclusively proven (an impossibility), but overwhelmingly probable.

Has anyone bothered to look at any of the other instruments Paganini owned?  I would suggest that if indeed Paganini filed down an edge on one instrument, he would do so on the others.  

31 minutes ago, A432 said:

Your Wellwisher,

Ignorant Prick

Yes, you certainly are! Please decease and desist from polluting the generally high quality of Maestronet.

Should you be having issues with cognitive decline (which it appears that you are), please ask your caregiver to restrict your internet access, lest you inherit too much money from, “Congratulations, you have inherited 8 million dollars from a terminally ill princess in Nigeria” scams. :lol:

4 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

Has anyone bothered to look at any of the other instruments Paganini owned?  I would suggest that if indeed Paganini filed down an edge on one instrument, he would do so on the others.  

Well, the thing is you can find untold thousands of instruments with the same wear and rib bulge....how many could Paganini have owned, and how did he file so many after he was dead?

Don't encourage him.....someone will have to deal with it in the real world.

1 minute ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Well, the thing is you can find untold thousands of instruments with the same wear and rib bulge....how many could he have owned, and how did he file so many after he was dead?

Don't encourage him.....someone will have to deal with it in the real world.

:D

I just finished reading an article from The Strad about Paganini.  It describes how violins at the time did not use chinrests and that the left hand was often times held against the ribs to hold the instrument up.  Also, I read that Vuillaume made an exact copy of the Il Cannone.  Anyways, just more fodder I guess. Sorry to keep going.

3 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Oooooh, I will have to Frame that!:D

Don't get too excited, it was you or the Paganini Edge Filer.....but worth framing regardless I suppose.

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Oooooh, I will have to Frame that!:D

It is indeed such a momentous occasion, that I will be happy to furnish the frame. But don''t expect it to meet the standards of either British or Austrian snobbery. It will just be something purchased at the nearest Target store,  some frame which I have found to be quite adequate to put up on my own humble walls. ;)

I have to admit that initially I thought A432 might be in good faith, but ultimately a troll is like a bluebottle in the sunlight ... the hotter it gets the more furiously they buzzzzzzz around and annoy the hell out of you.

The way you deal with evidence and reasoning is to mock them without considering them. This says nothing about the validity of my position, and everything about you.

People are not taught, as part of their educations, to distinguish belief from reason. It's a tricky distinction, in that belief uses the language and procedures of reason to arrive at conclusions which ignore it. It impersonates reason while violating it.

Belief is fundamentally rooted in emotion ; reason in common sense and logic.

Belief is immune to reason, to common sense and even to personal experience. That's why social engineers rely on it. Evidence which contradicts it will be "debunked" by rationalizing, minimizing,  justifying or simple denial -- all psychological mechanisms which insulate people from having to confront things that threaten their sense of welllbeing, as when a woman whose husband is cheating on her prefers to ignore indications of it because they are discordant with the belief to the contrary that her happiness depends on.

This mechanism operates at group level -- even nationally and internationally (remember "America is righteous. The Soviet Union is evil." ?), with the message being reinforced at every turn.

As here.

Having pointed that out, no more can be said (although I'm sure it will be).

1 hour ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Don't get too excited, it was you or the Paganini Edge Filer.....but worth framing regardless I suppose.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

It is indeed such a momentous occasion, that I will be happy to furnish the frame. But don''t expect it to meet the standards of either British or Austrian snobbery. It will just be something purchased at the nearest Target store,  some frame which I have found to be quite adequate to put up on my own humble walls. ;)

Fresh conformation that sarcasm is lost on Yanks

13 minutes ago, A432 said:

The way you deal with evidence and reasoning is to mock them without considering them. This says nothing about the validity of my position, and everything about you.

Having pointed that out, no more can be said (although I'm sure it will be).

Sorry, not playing any more ...

8 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Fresh conformation that sarcasm is lost on Yanks

Yes sir, Burgess was never going to buy you a frame........maybe the yanks are just better at it.......

17 minutes ago, A432 said:

People are not taught, as part of their educations, to distinguish belief from reason. It's a tricky distinction, in that belief uses the language and procedures of reason to arrive at conclusions which ignore it. It impersonates reason while violating it.

Belief is fundamentally rooted in emotion ; reason in common sense and logic.

Since you are professing to understand this,  why do you continue to demonstrate an over-reliance on your emotions/beliefs, when so much actual good evidence has been presented to the contrary?

35 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Yes sir, Burgess was never going to buy you a frame........maybe the yanks are just better at it.......

22 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Damn, a liar:o

Jacob, I actually will buy you a frame from my nearest Target store, should you so desire. Would you prefer to pick it up here, or have me ship it to you "postage collect"? ;)