Sign in to follow this  
Ernest Martel

Is Padahhound still active on Ebay?

No, the market changed direction, and he went into something else.  Darned pity.  :(

At the time, I seem to remember he was regularly lampooned on Maestronet for his over reaching descriptions, comparisons and florid language. Not to mention the auction conspiracy theories of dealer cabals.

I'm not sure how the market changed direction, unless you mean people became wiser?

2 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

I'm not sure how the market changed direction, unless you mean people became wiser?

Tarisio, Bormptons and Amati started holding trade sales for unattributed or speculative/restorable instruments, and undermined the Ebay trade.

though nowadays there seems to be an entire parallel economy where people sell their crap on Facebook.

I have not been on this forum long, and when searching Padahound, there seems to be a split opinion about ‘his’ practices. Is the consensus positive or negative? I read an article about his good customer service, but found others with questionable attribution. On a separate note, Martin, I feel Facebook marketplace is synonymous to Craigslist, whereas, the region tends to define the practices. 

2 minutes ago, Michael H said:

On a separate note, Martin, I feel Facebook marketplace is synonymous to Craigslist, whereas, the region tends to define the practices. 

Not aware of Facebook Marketplace - I was talking more about the various violin or bow attribution groups which are run by unscrupulous individuals so they can hoover up good stuff and sell lemons ...

5 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Not aware of Facebook Marketplace - I was talking more about the various violin or bow attribution groups which are run by unscrupulous individuals so they can hoover up good stuff and sell lemons ...

Oh, I see. It is a new age of marketing, for sure.

Too bad, I've been looking for a Juzek that was made by the old man himself, not too bright, not too dark, with a warm glowing sound and a glorious resonance that can fill any cathedral. And one that comes with a money back guarantee.

4 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

At the time, I seem to remember he was regularly lampooned on Maestronet for his over reaching descriptions, comparisons and florid language. Not to mention the auction conspiracy theories of dealer cabals.

No, the imagery of Proverbs 1:20, "Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice;" remains true, and the multitudes still ignore it.  Brad explains what happened in a post in the thread below.  :)

Thank you. From reading that other thread, it seems that the descriptions and language now live on with someone else. Maybe it's like Highlander, when one dies or retires, the spirit is absorbed into another body :D

It's the associations that the sales narrative trigger that sell the instrument. More so than the instrument itself, which will often be re-interpreted into congruence with them -- especially with amateurs.

This is also why Control of the Narrative is such a hot button issue to corporations, political entities and social engineers (extending into and controlling academic disciplines) in general.

The world runs, not on facts, but on stories. On pictures painted in the mind.

"He who would rule the Goths must use their imaginations to do it."

7 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Thank you. From reading that other thread, it seems that the descriptions and language now live on with someone else. Maybe it's like Highlander, when one dies or retires, the spirit is absorbed into another body :D

More like this, one suspects.............   :ph34r:  :lol:

image.thumb.png.bf74b04c2a12245a4811d2e64c13e02b.png

On 10/4/2019 at 10:37 AM, Violadamore said:

No, the imagery of Proverbs 1:20, "Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice;" remains true, and the multitudes still ignore it.  Brad explains what happened in a post in the thread below.  :)

Lots of good stuff in Proverbs. Thank you for sharing.

For some reason I thought that "mystertwo" was his new handle, I just remember seeing some listings a year or so ago and thinking that.  At the time I thought the photos and descriptions and some particular phrases he used (i.e."no cracks or repaired cracks") were very similar.  But looking at this listing the photos are not the same.  PH's  were high-res studio-lit photos.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Attn-Dealers-Charming-Violin-Labeled-Parisier-Copie-Lupot-14-day-returns/264490834890?hash=item3d94e1dbca:g:CG0AAOSw1LJdnzTC