Sign in to follow this  
Byrdbop

Pretty and sonorous violin came my way - ID required

Cheap.  With my limited identification skills I'm guessing Saxony Stainer(ish)?  Unfortunately the original varnish has been stripped.  Highish arching.  One worm hole in the back.  Heavenly overtones abound and it's just a joy to play.  A keeper despite itself.  Bow that came with it is decent and stamped 'Max Adler'.  I know he played the violin but certainly never made bows.  

JON_9598.JPG

JON_9603.jpg

JON_9600.JPG

JON_9610.JPG

JON_9611.JPG

JON_9614.JPG

JON_9608.jpg

Was something done to the varnish?

edit: I see that yes the varnish has been stripped. Missed that at first reading.

Edited by PhilipKT
Missed something

8 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Has about as much to do with Stainer as I do with the Emperor of Japan. Sounds like a really lovely fiddle though, so well done! 

Indeed but when it sounds as fine as this all such considerations fly out of the window.

14 hours ago, Byrdbop said:

Bow that came with it is decent and stamped 'Max Adler'.

Just a guess but I would have thought that it has nothing to do with the actual celebrity Max Adler  but is the name of the German who made it in Markneukirchen in the 1930s. A quick google turned up a number of bow makers from there  with that surname.

1 hour ago, Byrdbop said:

Indeed but when it sounds as fine as this all such considerations fly out of the window.

Since you mentioned the term "Stainer-ish" in your original post, I thought it worth pointing out, that's all. 

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

Just a guess but I would have thought that it has nothing to do with the actual celebrity Max Adler  but is the name of the German who made it in Markneukirchen in the 1930s. A quick google turned up a number of bow makers from there  with that surname.

Probably more a dealer's name, because such bows were made in shop coproduction and sold to the trade as a dozen. OTOH looks like a well made pernambuco student bow.

1 hour ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Since you mentioned the term "Stainer-ish" in your original post, I thought it worth pointing out, that's all. 

I acknowledged that with an afermative indeed. 

2 hours ago, Delabo said:

I made the presumption that it was a reference to violinist and later owner the Sears company Max Adler.  

It might just be an artifact of the photo angle, but is there a very flat area of the arching at the top block?

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

It might just be an artifact of the photo angle, but is there a very flat area of the arching at the top block?

Here's a natural light pic

JON_9661.JPG

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

Yes, sort of Prokop arching, where we imagine someone blowing very hard through the endpin while the violin’s still warm ...

in fact this could even be a revarnished Prokop.

36 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

A "Dutzendarbeit". One should realise that stripped and re-varnished, and with worm damage, it doesen't really have any comercial value at all

Of course.  I paid very little for it.  Just very surprised by how good it sounds.