Sign in to follow this  
Dom40

Best British violin maker?

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

Make a claim to the title Duke of Cumberland. Someone should, it's up for grabs.

Thanks. That sounds so much better than "Duke of Detroit". :);)

16 hours ago, ~ Ben Conover said:

I read some of the text by Hebbert, very nice. 
As to the question of who is or was the best maker ? 
Surely there are too many living violin makers and some of them are able to produce fine stuff. 

Yes, there many fine contemporary makers around today.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:41 PM, GoPractice said:

My experience has been that this is such a niche area, that the best examples are in collections.

Other times, "the best examples" are donated to collections, because they were hard to sell for one reason or another..

On 10/7/2019 at 12:47 AM, ~ Ben Conover said:

I read some of the text by Hebbert, very nice. 
As to the question of who is or was the best maker ? 
Surely there are too many living violin makers and some of them are able to produce fine stuff. 

Thanks Mr C :)

As to the best old makers, I firmly put my money between Daniel Parker and Jack Lott. At Lott's best, is very capricious experimenting around a theme of Del Gesu, which has it's own integrity to it. He wasn't a copyist in the way that Nemessanyi or Vuillaume could be described as, and the capriciousness is one of the things that makes him as dangerous as he is exciting. The best Daniel Parkers have the paradox of being remarkably similar to late-period Stradivaris, although they are made - probably - ever so slightly earlier. I think we should also remember that however Italian Vincenzo Panormo may have been, he doesn't behave like an Italian, and the way he works between models is very much an English characteristic. He was led by his market. 

We have had a lot of conversations on Maestronet and elsewhere about the state of living makers, and I think that it really is a case for the majority of makers, whether British or from elsewhere, that they fall into categories, to the point that I am not particularly bothered about whether we will be able to confirm "who" made the majority of violins by them in the future. I think what will be overridingly important is a kind of grade system for instruments identified as made in our current period of time. There are brilliant makers who are an exception to the rule, and will be considered differently "in the same league as the Voller brothers" - or something like that. 

I've had quite a say in the market of violins made by a dear friend who passed away a few years ago. I always felt that he underpriced his violins when he was alive, and now I am happy to see his instruments go for the same price as the equivalent violins made by his friends and colleagues who work at a generally similar level. But as far as I see it, once instruments that were sold "under" market price have been "corrected", there is no further need to think about price in that way. When he passed, there was quite a scramble of people wanting to get high prices. I can think of very few instances where prices will increase above the standard market price for instruments of equivalent quality (including age). Overall, that is good news for buyers of sensibly priced instruments. One simply has to ask if the price of the instrument can be justified. I really don't know what will happen with the new generation of super-expensive violins, but one also has to understand that if something is well ahead of the market, it is implicitly a greater risk.