Sign in to follow this  
Michael H

Thoughts on this cello?

I have my opinion, partly because of the South France location, as well as the condition looking new, crisp varnish, corners looking French (but more like the corners I’ve been seeing in some newer Romanian and Chinese instruments), plus some more.  I am curious to see if I am missing something that would push my opinion away from thinking that this is a newer instrument, slightly buttered up to look old.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392396673046

As a child, I had a so called “dirty violin” which I dragged around everywhere, through the sand pit, along the pavement and so on, and it looked a lot more knackered than that!

To me the cello looks like a turn of the century Saxon one, with a cheaper head. One has to be careful with “Jaura” celli, since alongside really nice ones, there are plenty of bought in Saxon ones, that got a little tarted up, and labeled

20 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

As a child, I had a so called “dirty violin” which I dragged around everywhere, through the sand pit, along the pavement and so on, and it looked a lot more knackered than that!

Why didn't you have a version of this? Like the rest of us?

Dog pull toy vintage.jpg

10 hours ago, martin swan said:

Looking at the seller's other stuff it seems reasonably described, so maybe I'm being overly suspicious. It's just one of those days ...

I do not think your are being overly suspicious. As you mentioned, other items of the seller look reasonable, maybe except the other French cello, but that does not mean we can disregard this one. It also becomes clear, in part of other inventory, that the seller may not be attempting to deceive, which is a plus.  Jacob S. mentioned olden Saxon, but I still think newer.  Maybe the seller just got screwed buying from any one of the surrounding towns. 

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I can confirm that I could well imagine that the Cello is from the time around WWI

You must see something that I do not. Corners look filed, but the flush alignment of the bass side ribs/corners is contradicted by the slight overhang on the treble side, which may mean the top was removed, but why? I see no cracks. But there may be. Most Saxon peg boxes I have seen are blackened, where this is not. Scroll fluting looks better than average, but do not think a picture indicates throat depth. Back pins are typically for decoration (in Saxony). To me, it looks like one was making a French replica, and changed one’s mind about heritage after completion. Thoughts?

I have already said above that the scroll looks like a cheap replacement one. Try looking at the studs on the back joint. I would bet my dinner, that if you took the back off, the blocks would not even nearly fit. I'm not saying it's a Jaura, but I would need a better look to make my mind up if it wasn't a Saxon one which they tarted (incl- phoney positioning Pins) up-