Sign in to follow this  
Dom40

A nice Bohemian violin. Any ideas on maker please ? And age ?

If Bohemian shouldn't the blacks on the purfling be wider, and there's no delta on the scroll, plus the eye of the scroll is flat, not domed?

Visually, It has an unusually low over stand, perhaps to accommodate the low arching of the top, and the string slots on the nut are shifted a bit too close to the treble side of the fingerboard. Can’t  help with the maker. As it is not set up, I assume I need not parrot the question of our indomitable Vda, how does it sound?

On the balance of things it looks more French than Saxon/Bohemian to me as Vathek and Blank face may be considering as well.

Would be nice to have an exactly straight view of the back. Even better if you could show the blocks and linings.

Is that the original varnish? (Hint: use a UV light to check things out as in here: https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Vansky-Blacklight-Ultraviolet-Eliminator/dp/B0758CJDGT/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=UV+light&qid=1569603306&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRlgyS1hLUEZON0k2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjcyNTA0MzAwRkRLQlFLNTZBRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDIwNzk4M0NXVEZWNzhCU09HTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=    )

54 minutes ago, hendrik said:

On the balance of things it looks more French than Saxon/Bohemian to me as Vathek and Blank face may be considering as well.

At least it's made with a mould, as the mitred rib joints are indicating. It could be from Mittenwald, too, though the lower rib is divided, what was sometimes done this way during the very late Verleger period, 1930s or later. Then the corner blocks should be longer in the outer bouts and the C linings morticed into them. But I'm guessing that it's rather french of this period. Mind the assymetrical button joint.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, vathek said:

If Bohemian shouldn't the blacks on the purfling be wider, and there's no delta on the scroll, plus the eye of the scroll is flat, not domed?

What does a flat eye usually point to ? Thanks Dom 

22 hours ago, Blank face said:

Has it cleats at the inner bottom seam?

Sorry there are two cleats after the bottom block along the seam about 75 mm apart. 

1 hour ago, vathek said:

I believe a flat eye is more of a French trait?

Not exclusively either way ie. many French violins with round scroll eyes and many no-French with flat scroll eyes, but on balance it is a feature of French production from around 1870.

This does look like a Mirecourt trade instrument to me but quite late (1930s) - slightly crude beech linings from what I can see.

23 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Not exclusively either way ie. many French violins with round scroll eyes and many no-French with flat scroll eyes, but on balance it is a feature of French production from around 1870.

This does look like a Mirecourt trade instrument to me but quite late (1930s) - slightly crude beech linings from what I can see.

Thank you for the info. I definitely payed too much then. Il get it set up and keep it to play. 

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

This does look like a Mirecourt trade instrument to me

The thick squarish bass bar confirms this. Could be postwar either.

34 minutes ago, Blank face said:

The thick squarish bass bar confirms this. Could be postwar either.

Thank you all these points you mention really help. 

Dominic, for future reference a couple of other points worth clocking ...

The back seam doesn't travel through the centre of the button - this is evidence of hurried work. Likewise the fact that the saddle has varnish on it. 

The top of the pegbox has been hollowed out by machine and not finished square.

Another point that's of interest is that the top curves of the f-holes are rather ragged - done in a hurry.

But some aspects of this violin are rather nice, and I think it may polish up well!

53 minutes ago, martin swan said:

this is evidence of hurried work.

Also, the maker went too far with the inside arching at the C bouts leaving gaps between lining and back.

Regarding the varnish: as the violin was presented as Bohemian imho the varnish does not fit well with that description, so I was wondering if it had been stripped and revarnished. However that would have been a heck of a precise stripping job and rather unlikely. Varnish fits well with what Martin describes.

This kind of violin can be quite powerful, but responsiveness may be lacking a bit. 

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

Dominic, for future reference a couple of other points worth clocking ...

The back seam doesn't travel through the centre of the button - this is evidence of hurried work. Likewise the fact that the saddle has varnish on it. 

The top of the pegbox has been hollowed out by machine and not finished square.

Another point that's of interest is that the top curves of the f-holes are rather ragged - done in a hurry.

But some aspects of this violin are rather nice, and I think it may polish up well!

Thanks Martin that’s very kind to point that out. Il take note of all those points. 

29 minutes ago, hendrik said:

Regarding the varnish: as the violin was presented as Bohemian imho the varnish does not fit well with that description, so I was wondering if it had been stripped and revarnished. However that would have been a heck of a precise stripping job and rather unlikely. Varnish fits well with what Martin describes.

This kind of violin can be quite powerful, but responsiveness may be lacking a bit. 

Points noted thank you. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds. 

1 hour ago, Dom40 said:

Points noted thank you. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds. 

Which brings us to my usual question....  :)  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Which brings us to my usual question....  :)  :lol:

Without fittings or strings, I'm guessing that it's quiet...

1 minute ago, Three13 said:

Without fittings or strings, I'm guessing that it's quiet...

Thank you, Captain Obvious.  I expect Dom40 is probably embarked on the setup already.  :P  :lol: