Sign in to follow this  
jezzupe

ABOMINABLE

Generally not a big fan of the Disney machine, but in this case, I'll take it. Prepare for an onslaught of student violin sales and lots of new student players, particularly girls...or female peoplekind, er whatever your calling them these days....Big Kudos to Disney for basically putting together the best "hey kids don't you want to play violin too movie" ever made....I don't think if we all piled our money together into an add campaign we could reach the target audience as well as Disney will with this movie. 

I love animated movies...now I'm looking forward to seeing this one even more! :D

FWIW, in this kind of 'mass appeal' interest of the moment...even if kids only develop a short-term interest in the violin, and the folks spend a whole $69 on a violin package - it's still a good thing to for kids (or adults) to experience something new...and maybe a few will take it more seriously...and if those violins end up in the rubbish bin...no big loss.

Nemo, on the other hand, was awful for the 'interest of the moment'.  All those poor clownfish tossed in freshwater tanks.  I still get upset when I think about it. :(

When the Hunger Games came out there was a boom in sales of archery equipment, esp to young girls. I don't think it lasted long, like the violin it takes a long term mind set. But maybe it will hook a few more kids who had already have the predisposition.

23 minutes ago, deans said:

When the Hunger Games came out there was a boom in sales of archery equipment, esp to young girls. I don't think it lasted long, like the violin it takes a long term mind set. But maybe it will hook a few more kids who had already have the predisposition.

Perhaps more than a few :)

At least, while this lasts, if you do a search on "abominable violin player", the only reviews found are for the movie.  ;):lol:

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong...I'm not outside playing on windy rooftops...or in the rain...or underwater...or...or...or...

I volunteer as a Santa every December, and from one year to the next, maybe 1% of kids maintain their interests in whatever film-inspired trend took root the last year. That seems dreadfully low, but if that 1% had never hopped aboard the "trend" to begin with, perhaps they'd have never found their passion at all.

Not that I'm judging or anything...but in order to find a passion, and pursue it...you need to get off your smartphone...<_<

3 hours ago, Rue said:

I love animated movies...now I'm looking forward to seeing this one even more! :D

FWIW, in this kind of 'mass appeal' interest of the moment...even if kids only develop a short-term interest in the violin, and the folks spend a whole $69 on a violin package - it's still a good thing to for kids (or adults) to experience something new...and maybe a few will take it more seriously...and if those violins end up in the rubbish bin...no big loss.

Nemo, on the other hand, was awful for the 'interest of the moment'.  All those poor clownfish tossed in freshwater tanks.  I still get upset when I think about it. :(

That is nothing compared to 101 dalmatians, when all those little kids who insisted on a dalmatian puppy found out that they were tremendously difficult to deal with.

I can only imagine how those poor people learn to live with all the dragons they adopted.

cats are better...

765D9117-D557-413F-862F-93E59B145BBA.jpeg

Edited by PhilipKT

Yes.  I remember the dalmatian crisis.

But at least they could breath...

My Asian students will be disgusted by this.

I must say that i experienced the by-product that the movie Frozen produced. There were so many younger girls singing. Primary/ elementary schools no longer regularly offer choir so hearing singing everywhere was fun. But alas, as Rue had pointed out, the last power was weak. It turned out to be just a trend. But there were a few young ladies whose voices developed and are singing well now.  

Well, at least they didn't pick a Tuba, but somehow I think the Tuba needed the movie more than the violin, but you know, I suppose playing a Tuba on the ledge doesn't have the same appeal and well, it's probably pretty dangerous

33 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Well, at least they didn't pick a Tuba, but somehow I think the Tuba needed the movie more than the violin, but you know, I suppose playing a Tuba on the ledge doesn't have the same appeal and well, it's probably pretty dangerous

I'd expect that a tuba would attract a a variety of negative responses, including official attention.  That's dangerous.      :ph34r:  :lol:

3 hours ago, GoPractice said:

My Asian students will be disgusted by this.

I am not sure why you would write this. The movie has received good reviews on how it presents the Asian characters.  I think most kids are going to love this animation.

4 hours ago, Rue said:

...I luv tuba...:wub:

But would you love it booming from the roof of your apartment building at night?  :huh:  :lol:

I don't know! I might have to actually experience it. I'll get back to you...

Places an ad in Craiglist:

Wanted: one tuba player. Must be comfortable at high altitudes and steady on their feet.

7 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

I am not sure why you would write this. The movie has received good reviews on how it presents the Asian characters.  I think most kids are going to love this animation.

I am assuming you will be correct that that kids will love this animation. I want everyone who attends the movie to enjoy the experience. Maybe my words were not chosen well. It is not so much about the portrayal of Asians but that they play violin. 

To my students a violin playing Asian is just another unhappy stereotype.