Sign in to follow this  
Rue

Should we laugh or cry?

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Maybe a bit of both? :P Let me know what you think while I go round up some bad goats. :angry:

https://www.rollingstone.com/product-recommendations/lifestyle/best-violins-888039/amp/

The only good goats I've ever seen were barbecued, and I've raised a lot of goats.  They're a species of escape artists and vandals.  :lol:

There's no excuse that I can find for the tragically pitiful article you linked, unless, given that magazine's historic reputation, the author might have been stoned when he wrote it (which in turn, raises some questions about the editing......).  It seems to be the most shallow and narrow beginner's introduction to violins imaginable.  Could it actually be disguised advertising?  :ph34r::rolleyes:

Globalist tripe selling out to the Chicoms! Cleverly disguised with Italian sounding names, why I never :rolleyes: :lol:

It matters to me! what happened? ...oh, never mind

Anybody who is looking for Violin recommendations in Rolling Stone magazine and is listening to a guy who plays with Macklemore, they get pretty much what they deserve.

It just makes me wonder which alternate reality we all exist in.

Re: Goats. Ours are safe from becoming sustenance - they need to focus their energies on fibre production. They had their mani-pedis today...right before I massaged the cat. I'd say it's all worth it even if I get paid peanuts, but the goats ate all of those too ..

4 hours ago, Rue said:

It just makes me wonder which alternate reality we all exist in.

Re: Goats. Ours are safe from becoming sustenance - they need to focus their energies on fibre production. They had their mani-pedis today...right before I massaged the cat. I'd say it's all worth it even if I get paid peanuts, but the goats ate all of those too ..

The actual reality, wherein the person who wrote...whatever that was...works as an editor for a respected pop culture magazine. Maybe a stretch, but it's still respected by some. Sick sad world. Apparently he is a successful musician too. Ok. Nothing surprises me about that. 

I think the  article is right... If you want to play heavy metal or rock on violin you don't want that full smooth sound of classical violins. You need the screechy sounding violin that sounds like a chainsaw cutting sheet metal so those factory instruments are best ticket into rock band. (even better if they look like they were carved with the chainsaw)

11 hours ago, not telling said:

The actual reality, wherein the person who wrote...whatever that was...works as an editor for a respected pop culture magazine. Maybe a stretch, but it's still respected by some. Sick sad world. Apparently he is a successful musician too. Ok. Nothing surprises me about that. 

RS is no longer a edgy magazine and is part of the establishment. They unfortunately had published an article that was controversially written, off on facts, and they have soften a bit, along with Esquire, Scientific America, Highlights and Playboy, known to many for its brazen articles. 

My cynicism has me thinking that this is just an overview for well-intended grandparents. It is informative in that uninformed way where you might know something about the subject, like rosining a bow. At least, set up was brought up.

Potential musicians are sometimes over-informed. An article like this would certainly make beginning or potential string players feel better as they are able to form an opinion either way and start a discussion. I would include myself in this group when it comes to other subjects like African Violets or Cat Shows.

Disguised advertising? The article begins with "Penske Media may earn a commission from purchases made from our links."

I still remember a wonderful pair of interviews with Glenn Gould in 1973(?). I had a subscription back then.