Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

1829 Cannone Copy


Three13
 Share

Recommended Posts

There is a catalog from the Triennale from 2001 titled, "Originals, Models and Copies:The Cannone of Nicolo Paganini and musical still life:two cases compared". It catalogs and compares copies of the Cannone from the French, English and Italian schools. I think that you might like it.

 

Nice fiddle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Three13 said:

I find it incredible that nobody has written a full-length book about 19th century dG copies - it seems like something people would enjoy.

 

57 minutes ago, duane88 said:

There is a catalog from the Triennale from 2001 titled, "Originals, Models and Copies:The Cannone of Nicolo Paganini and musical still life:two cases compared". It catalogs and compares copies of the Cannone from the French, English and Italian schools. I think that you might like it.

 

Nice fiddle.

That is what you are getting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Interesting instrument. 

I wonder how they knew that the canon is thick in the back. Paganini was extremely nervous on any changes and I wonder if Sawicki or any violin maker in Vienna ever opened it. 

I believe that Sawicki did repair work on it - I recall reading that one of the corner blocks came loose at some point (although I think Craske fixed that).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Three13 said:

I believe that Sawicki did repair work on it - I recall reading that one of the corner blocks came loose at some point (although I think Craske fixed that).

There is a manuscript letter from Paganini himself, preserved at the Archive of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde dated 10 August 1828 in the Italian language pertaining to Sawicki’s repair to the “Cannon”, in which it is recorded that Sawicki replaced the fingerboard. No other repairwork is mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

There is a manuscript letter from Paganini himself, preserved at the Archive of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde dated 10 August 1828 in the Italian language pertaining to Sawicki’s repair to the “Cannon”, in which it is recorded that Sawicki replaced the fingerboard. No other repairwork is mentioned.

On behalf of Jacob I transformed the Paganini letter into an MN compatible picture. What I can decipher with my poor understanding of the Italian language is that he referred to Sawicki as "Stradivari-alike genius" in regards of violins and all musical instruments and similar compliments, who examined the violin a whole day and changed the fingerboard in a very artistic way.;)

Screenshot_2019-09-15 IMAF60~1 PDF.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blank face said:
1 hour ago, Blank face said:

 

Screenshot_2019-09-15 IMAF60~1 PDF.png

 

The Kunst Historische Museum gave the text of Paganini's letter as:

 

Io Sottoscrizzo Confesso che il Sig(nor) Sawicki, è un genio Straordinario per fabbricare I violini, nonchè per arangiare meravigliosamente tutti gl’istrumemti musicali; lo che ho veduti, e scrupolosamente esaminati tanto I Suoi, che quelli d’altri dallo Stesso accomodati, mi compiaccio di potere attestare chi il prelodato, è il primoartista del mondo; e più, gli affidai il mio violino al quale cambiò la Tastiera, che di quallunque altro artista non mi sarei fidato.

Nicolò Paganini

Vienna 10. Agosto 1828

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Blank face said:

If Paganini sold the concert violin "eventually ...to Vuillume (sic) in Paris" it couldn't have been the Cannone.

I’ve read a couple versions of the story. Hebbert calls it the Cannone and doesn’t mention it being sold. I don’t think he’s ever misspelled Vuillaume, either. ;)

it it would be interesting if it was a different Del Gesu - maybe the Lutti Senn? Are there any others that Paganini owned?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...