Maestronet Forums

Baron Lütgendorff, Violin Lexica, Eduard Emanuel Homolka and Caspar Strnad.

jacobsaunders

45 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Would you be able to if you tried harder?

Unfortunately not. I found that data on Google (the word is about a very well known historical building in Prague) and there is nothing about the former house.

In Zagreb, where I live, if I need information about some historical building, I search the city's historical archives. It is certainly possible in Prague as well.

Also, we have a City Institute for the Protection of Monuments of Culture and Nature and I'm sure there is similar institution in Prague. 

If you have some friends or clients there, maybe you can ask them to do this research for you.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Thanks, I will warm this thread up if I find anything. A link to your "Google" result would be very interesting.

https://www.pamatkovykatalog.cz/cinzovni-dum-15463522

On this link you can also see the source: PAMÁTKOVÁ OCHRANA (this is indeed Institute for the Protection of Monuments)

https://prazdnedomy.cz/domy/objekty/detail/80-mottluv-dum

Well, I tried harder and - BINGO

1469133638_Jungmannnam.jpg.91e94a508634399603e36b43c1f02ad6.jpg

1567925346_jungmannnam2.jpg.17f9d6bbcce7d1150a7ceb9ba6dcb14f.jpg

1760648706_Jungmannnam1.jpg.b82f41626451f68ad2714e3216eda3c7.jpg

Here is a link: http://www.starapraha.cz/pohlednice-praha-jecna-zitna.php  See No. 432 and 434 (for text you can use translate button)

Another link: http://www.old-prague.com/postcards-prague-boundary-between-old-and-new-town.php See No. 316

edited: 2:35 pm

23 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Thank-you very much. If I have worked out your Czech links correctly, Strnads house must have been the one on the left(?)

It is uncanny how pictures of Prague always look like pictures of Vienna!

Yes, this house is on the left on the photo. The front of the house is well visible on the other postcard in my last post - the one in the middle. As far that could be seen, none of the shops in the ground floor isn't violin shop. But, considering that the postcard is made at the end of the 19th C. it could be that earlier there was one.  

Not only Prague look like Vienna. If you ever visit Zagreb, you will see why we locals like to call our town "Little Vienna". :)

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:00 PM, romberg flat said:

It is the Neo-Baroque apartment building with Art Nouveau elements designed by the architect Karel Mottl and built in 1905-06. :)

A round of applause for Romberg flat: I have discovered the brass plate attributing the house to the architect Karl Mottl in 1906.

BTW. Opposite is a statue of the Czech philosopher and linguist Josef Jungmann, after whom the street/square was named https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Jungmann

IMG_7056.jpeg

IMG_7036.jpeg

5 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

A round of applause for Romberg flat: I have discovered the brass plate attributing the house to the architect Karl Mottl in 1906.

BTW. Opposite is a statue of the Czech philosopher and linguist Josef Jungmann, after whom the street/square was named https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Jungmann

IMG_7056.jpeg

IMG_7036.jpeg

Thank you for the compliment but that wasn't a big deal. Identifying who create a house is a lot easier than who made a violin. There are a lot less fakes. :lol:

• 2 years later...

A recent thread on false E.E. Homolka labels has prompted me to review my notes. 

Below is the conscription (residence) record for E. E. Homolka.  It shows where the Homolka family resided at various times in Vinohrady.

eehomolkakonsk.thumb.jpg.ed328c5ec393c9b2de7bb1512017c89d.jpg

Date, Cadastral parcel, present address (derived*)

• 11/10/1889, 379, Bělehradská 120
  • 5/20/1891, 565, Slezská 2033/11
  • 11/27/1897, 140, Americká 227
  • 11/15/1904, 482, Not found
  • 12/30/1905, 699, Francouzská 17

*derived addresses are found using: https://www.geoportalpraha.cz/cs/mapy/mapa-online and google maps.  The cadastral map below shows that the Homolka family never lived further than 3 blocks from the Saint Ludmila Church while in Vinohrady.

homolkacad.thumb.png.b60121ec5429b2bc640ef0c4525f33e2.png

The conscription record shows E.E. Homolka's wife was Marie Lomberska, and they had two children named Eduard and Emma.  The younger Eduard was also trained as a violin maker, but was tragically killed in WWI.

Similarly, for E. E. Homolka's father, Ferdinand August Vincenz, who lived in Staré Město in Prague before relocating to its second district, Nové Město.  E. E.'s mother's maiden (Germanized) name was Marie Kobertsch.

The conscription records show that F.A. Homolka and his wife moved to Vinohrady in 1887, and later in 1905 Eduard Emanual's family joined them at the same residence.

fahomolkakonsk.thumb.jpg.42321302d3aae4c8157ab44b27c8cfd4.jpg 

fahomolkakonsk2.thumb.jpg.5f1ac692885a383535167f1a423b6332.jpg

fahomolkakonsk1.thumb.jpg.0a3f20f5e32ab3b01e4b43faf6da7043.jpg

Date, cadastral parcel, current derived (approximate) address 

• 1858, 105, Opletalova 27
  • 5/12/1865, 139, Senovážné nám. 980
  • 4/22/1866, 104, Opletalova 27
  • 2/24/1871, 457, Náměstí Republiky 1
  • 1/4/1873, 231, Na Poříčí 1757
  • 6/20/1878, 454, Na Poříčí 1071

fahnewtown.thumb.png.a3c853c32c24c24a30fc2372dfa2c8c1.png

14 hours ago, Fotios said:

My notes have links to original archival material, so what?

Here are a brief sampling of "my notes" regarding Homolka:

(Eduard Emanuel's Homolka's baptismal entry, last entry on page:)

http://katalog.ahmp.cz/pragapublica/permalink?xid=D227E4A1D3DA4E84B1E32061236FCA0F&scan=267#scan267

(Eduard, son of Eduard Emanuel H.'s baptismal entry, last entry on page:)

http://katalog.ahmp.cz/pragapublica/permalink?xid=A11B00A0A9114DD591DC4236B29E8B83&scan=586#scan586

The collection of documents on this thread provide a good sampling of handwriting from the relevant period (including E.E. Homolka's own handwriting and autograph on his own stationary in the very first post), and anyone who'd mistake the three "Homolka" labels presented on the other thread, which barely rises to a cartoonish level as authentic, should not be taken seriously.  That includes Jalovec specimen #192!

If you can't understand why those labels on that other thread are spurious then you can only blame your own failed observational powers.  (Hint: stroke width varies due to directionality because of the period writing implement used.) We can rubbish your pretentious claims to "objectivity" and "misplaced confidence" too.

1 hour ago, Hempel said:

if you can't understand why those labels on that other thread are spurious then you can only blame your own failed observational powers.  (Hint: stroke width varies due to directionality because of the period writing implement used.) We can rubbish your pretentious claims to "objectivity" and "misplaced confidence" too.

Any chance you could tone it down a bit? If you want to spend time shouting at people and telling them they are fools then the new Elon Musk-owned Twitter should suit you down to the ground.

You clearly have a valuable contribution to make to Maestronet but please be a bit friendlier.

13 hours ago, Hempel said:

The collection of documents on this thread provide a good sampling of handwriting from the releavant period (including E.E. Homolka's own handwriting and autograph on his own stationary in the very first post)

Excuse me, but if you claim that the handwriting of the persons the conscripts refer to can be seen on the conscripts, and you fail to understand that these records were written by the hand of a police officer, then I have no further comment on the level of your archival erudition. These entries have nothing whatsoever to do with violin labels.

30 minutes ago, Fotios said:

Excuse me, but if you claim that the handwriting of the persons the conscripts refer to can be seen on the conscripts, and you fail to understand that these records were written by the hand of a police officer, then I have no further comment on the level of your archival erudition. These entries have nothing whatsoever to do with violin labels.

I fear that you miss the point. Homolka’s handwriting (and signature) on his own business paper, illustrated in the first post of this thread, would be comparable to any repair label he would have allegedly handwritten himself, which he didn’t, since he had a printed repair label. (ergo crass Fahrkarte)

There seems to be some friction concerning this thread by some contributors, including some personal attacks.  I've locked it until I have a chance to review some yet unapproved posts and the thread as a whole. Thank you for your patience. Especially with what I consider interesting subject matter, I take this situation seriously. May be a few days before it's reopened. Rather avoid deletion.

I've unlocked the thread.  While I have doubts that I was successful in mitigating the problem that arose, I'm confident this interesting thread can continue without further incident.  I hope all participants can help ensure this occurs without further belittling personal comments. They tend to distract from content.