Sign in to follow this  
JavierPortero

Stradivari violas

6 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Some notions are so deeply ingrained in the stringed instrument world, that it's close-to-impossible to form a completely independent opinion.

That's why I think that the blind and double-blind testing have so much value.

David, do you use the Strad model for the violas you make?

Interesting to chart the progression of Strads violas -- The Mahler is an outlier -- the only one of its kind we know of. The CV form followed and the early violas on this form -- the Archinto in the RAM and the Tuscan in the Library of congress are a little longer (and rounder at the top and bottom than the later violas like the Cassevetti and MacDonald. It is possible the CV form was cut down at a later point (flattened a few mm at  the top and bottom block). Here is an overlay of the Archinto outline from the Strad poster and Addies tracing of the CV form --

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 10.32.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 10.33.27 PM.png

11 hours ago, MANFIO said:

David, do you use the Strad model for the violas you make?

I don't use a Strad viola model. What I use is more like an enlarged Strad violin.

4 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I don't use a Strad viola model. What I use is more like an enlarged Strad violin.

Ok, thanks! And that results in a wider viola than the original viola Strad model, I think, is that?

2 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

Ok, thanks! And that results in a wider viola than the original viola Strad model, I think, is that?

I don't try to stick to the violin length/width proportions. My "wide model" violas are definitely much wider than either the Strad viola or violin length/width ratios. 

2 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I don't try to stick to the violin length/width proportions. My "wide model" violas are definitely much wider than either the Strad viola or violin length/width ratios. 

Ok, thanks!

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

So why didn't Strad think of that? Perhaps he did? My theory is that he scaled up a long pattern violin (the CV design was done around the same time as the long form violins were being made). Then later modified the CV form by flatting the curves of the top and bottom to give a slightly more boxy look we see in the MacDonald and Cassiveti, Paganini

Who knows what the strad shop would have come up with if they actually redesigned the viola form in the golden period. I did a quick scale of a golden period Strad violin in a CAD app and came up with UB 193 Middle 132 and LB 242 on a 413mm body. Quite a bit different than the CV form!