Sign in to follow this  
NoLuckSchmuck

Help Identifying Violin

34 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Sorry, but no - edgework, purfling, varnish, scroll and choice of wood are very different.

Yes, the violin I last posted is very different than the OP's, but if you compare it to some 20th century French violins by makers like Amédée Dieudonné, you will see remarkable similarities.

That's all. 

36 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Yes, the violin I last posted is very different than the OP's, but if you compare it to some 20th century French violins by makers like Amédée Dieudonné, you will see remarkable similarities.

That's all. 

Maybe, but the OP violin has so many clues about its age. All of which could be faked of course, but I don't see it.

I find it suspicious how the wear on the violin is so diligently photographed, as if trying to prove something. 

Are you asking me?  No I didn't bid on it but I have to admit I like this kind of student fiddles, plain but pretty and classic. To me it looks like a pre war (I?) fiddle from the Vogtland but I'm always open for other opinions, I would be very interested wich details make BF think its post war. Perhaps has NoLuckSchmuck won the auction and could provide more detailed pics?

2 hours ago, match said:

To me it looks like a pre war (I?) fiddle from the Vogtland but I'm always open for other opinions, I would be very interested wich details make BF think its post war.

In my experience it's the combination of the purfling with this broad dark stripes, set in this way into the corners, very clean rounded scroll and the smooth, somehow hard and chippy looking varnish I'm not used to see at any prewar Vogtlands. The fittings I mentioned before are giving another clue, and I don't think that pegs in this still very narrow unworn looking holes were exchanged. That's more similar to what I'm familiar with from certain Bubenreuth work from the postwar area.

OTOH, these are impressions from photos only, holding a violin in hands can be a very different thing with different outcome. As Roland Terrier once wrote "Who smelled this varnish, when it was warmed up?" Leaving aside Chinese, we have a possible range now from some early 20th Vogtland over 1920s Mirecourt to postwar Bubenreuth, which isn't finally to decide by the photos only, and that's  proving that it can be sometimes difficult to tell precisely about some violins in this way, and that buying from such online auctions leaves one often with a lot of uncertainties to wonder.This can be fun in some ways, but I wouldn't spend 500 Euros for it.;)

Hello all! Thanks for all the input! Unfortunately I lost this auction so I won't be able to post anymore photos.

I am still curious about it though.

To me the varnish seems like a unique attribute which might point to its origins and am curious what your impressions of the varnish are.

17 hours ago, NoLuckSchmuck said:

Hello all! Thanks for all the input! Unfortunately I lost this auction so I won't be able to post anymore photos.

I am still curious about it though.

To me the varnish seems like a unique attribute which might point to its origins and am curious what your impressions of the varnish are.

Don't have the win/lose attitude on this stuff, or you'll waste money.  IMHO, "losers" are people who stick to an auction like ticks after I've quit bidding. :lol:

Could you post a link to the bidding history?

I would love to have a slightly more detailed photograph of a “Gand strip” Which I presume is a darker band of varnish either parallel or perpendicular to the body and the midpoint, but I’d love to get a photograph and more information about it. I played a magnificent Gand cello from about 1850 That did not have what I described, so I might be misunderstanding the term.

7 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I would love to have a slightly more detailed photograph of a “Gand strip” Which I presume is a darker band of varnish either parallel or perpendicular to the body and the midpoint, but I’d love to get a photograph and more information about it. I played a magnificent Gand cello from about 1850 That did not have what I described, so I might be misunderstanding the term.

Go look here: https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/343667-winged-violin-question/  :)

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

It’s a central strip of wood that’s bent instead of carved - it does show up a bit like a racing stripe...

I think China.  All I know for sure is mine are labeled from Wayne Burak's shop. I have two of them.  One piece bottom rib and all indications of inside mould.  Scroll like yours with no forehead, but rounder and neater.  Similar color.  Labeled made 2000 and 2001.  One of them is especially good.  But in fairness the other one is broken :)  Fine instruments made quickly.