Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

My best friend’s Violin Shop is closing

5 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I am loath to criticise American grammar, but surely you mean “My best friend is closing his violin shop”.

Either version can be grammatically correct.

Moving on to more "pressing" matters, Target brand starch works very well for me when starching my underskivvies.  Austrians who are formerly-Biritsh might prefer something a bit stiffer. ;)

I once watched a hilarious show that was a British parody of the upper class called “stiff upper lips”

it starred Prunella Scales and was hilarious in that dry, British, “I don’t know why this is funny but I’m laughing hard” kind of humor.

its not really related to the subject at hand but your comment about starch brought it to mind.

Jacob is easily as kind and generous as your best friend.

If someone walked into his shop with a violin that was in very bad shape and needed full restoration he would very kindly  direct the person to his dustbin for free disposal. :lol:

5 hours ago, violinnewb said:

the verb "closing" relates to the direct object, "violin shop," and is also linked to the possessive form of the "best friend."

Wrong!

Andrew

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Either version can be grammatically correct.

Shops don’t shut themselves, grammar Pope. Shutting your shop yourself is probably luxury compared with waiting for the bailiff.

6 hours ago, jezzupe said:

Everyone in favor of Jacob being the MN hall monitor raise their right hand! :lol:

[Raises her right middle finger.]  Don't count that as a vote in favor.  :P

5 hours ago, Blank face said:

So we can sleep in peace!:ph34r:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDkcDhRXUAAPrzK?format=jpg&name=small

Edit: Damn, got the wrong Jacob!

Like!!!!!   :lol:

8 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Jesus, you are an ass.

Let's leave religion out of this.  :ph34r:

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

.  Austrians who are formerly-British............

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I am loath to criticise American grammar, but surely you mean “My best friend is closing his violin shop”. Assuming he is still alive, I fail to see what difference it makes to you, if he is your best friend.

12 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Shops don’t shut themselves, grammar Pope. Shutting your shop yourself is probably luxury compared with waiting for the bailiff.

Congratulations, Jacob, it seems to me that you're being a real Wiener today.  :lol::P

5 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

[Raises her right middle finger.]  Don't count that as a vote in favor.  :P

Like!!!!!   :lol:

Let's leave religion out of this.  :ph34r:

I thought it was the jawbone of an ass, and self hating as it may be, I can not speak ill of mein ...Jacob :lol:

Certainly sad news for you. 

The silver line might be that he might do things for you privately at home (unless he all of a sudden hates the whole violin business and decided to go fishing every day instead) 

2 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Certainly sad news for you. 

The silver line might be that he might do things for you privately at home (unless he all of a sudden hates the whole violin business and decided to go fishing every day instead) 

Yes, he has promised to do repairs at home for special friends, of which I am certainly one. But he also has a vast wine cellar that he’s been amassing for the last 50 years or so, and mixing the two would probably result in a lot of unwanted repeat business.

10 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Jay Rury has been my dearest friend for over 30 years. He’s honest, he’s knowledgeable and he’s humble enough to realize that he doesn’t have all the answers and is always seeking more. He would rather lose money than disappoint a customer. He has been everyone’s friend and everyone’s excellent artisan for almost 40 years. 

And he announced yesterday that his shop is closing at the end of October and I am heartbroken.

I’m sure everybody here knows someone with that kind of character and that kind of spirit.

Think for a moment about losing that person And you’ll have an inkling of how I feel.

Is there anything we can do to help your friend in dissolving his business? He should consider an inventory sale on eBay to raise cash.

18 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Yes, he has promised to do repairs at home for special friends, of which I am certainly one. But he also has a vast wine cellar that he’s been amassing for the last 50 years or so, and mixing the two would probably result in a lot of unwanted repeat business.

:wub::P

6 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Ummm... really?  Grammar debates?  Come on.

Moderators have to be so impartial.  I read:  Ummm...really?  Grammar debates?  Come on, Jacob.

30 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

and said to the bartender...

.......gimme a Yushan Kaoliang Chiew............

1 hour ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Is there anything we can do to help your friend in dissolving his business? He should consider an inventory sale on eBay to raise cash.

Actually, I haven’t asked him about what he’s going to do with all his stuff, although he did text me this afternoon to remind me that I’ve got a whole lot of instruments for sale there that I need to relocate.

At one time I was a quite eager hunter and gatherer of wooden widgets, some of which are probably past their expiration date at Jay’s shop.

and will soon be cluttering up closets at my place.

(Sigh)